Honeymoon, part One


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Seattle
January 19th 2011
Published: January 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Peek a booPeek a booPeek a boo

A neat view of the Space Needle from the very funky warehouse district-turned-awesome part of town.
As many of you know, Michael and I have been together for 7 years and living together for 5 of those years. So getting married 10 weeks ago was the most natural thing in the world. We already have a solid idea of what we're getting into. There aren't any of those surprises that fresh-faced young couples get who are still getting to know what it's going to be like to share day-in and day-out with their partner who, unbeknownst to them until now, as it turns out likes to throw their dirty socks on the kitchen table or demands to have their neon beer signs hung on the walls of their new home.



Not us. Michael and are have had plenty of time to get ourselves into a nice groove as a couple and the blessings of our friends for us starting a new life together seem a little misplaced. But in the spirit of embracing new things as a couple, we decided to honeymoon in a place neither one of us has ever been - the Pacific Northwest. In January. That's right. Now many honeymooning couple might choose a civilized place like Hawaii or Jamaica so
From the airport into townFrom the airport into townFrom the airport into town

What it looks like riding the Light Rail. Fun!
they can lay around on a beach all day and sip frozen drinks. That's not us. How ironic is it, then, that there are all these winter travel ads in Seattle for January travel to Hawaii. Also ironic that Alaska Air will fly you there. Hmm.



Anyway, we chose the frosty Northwest and so far we love it. Seattle is a playground. It's both industrial and artsy, it's part old and part new, it's big enough to keep you busy and small enough to learn your way around pretty quickly. We decided to attack the city with gusto right away. After meeting a couple from Iceland and receiving our newlywed congratulations from Rodney, our hotel doorman, we were ready to get the day started. We hit the Public Market, rode the train, bus and monorail. We hoofed it all over town, visited the cruise ship piers, rode the elevators up from the waterfront, went to the outdoor sculpture park, then out to the Space Needle park, hung out at the U of W and drank beer on the main drag. Phew.



But we still have yet to visit one of the numerous coffee shops
Makes you want to hit the booksMakes you want to hit the booksMakes you want to hit the books

The crazy Seattle Public Library, conveniently next to our hotel.
that pepper this city. I think I counted 4 in one block. And strange little alcoves that are good for almost nothing else have sprouted into little take-away coffee counters. I do believe this is the most caffeinated city on the planet. To make up for our lack of coffee, we're making it a point to find all the cool little brew pubs that Michael's been researching. He now has a map in his head of all the best spots in town and we're determined to try most of them. In the interest of doing something new, that is. Now to try this thing called "Happy Hour" that I've heard so much about...




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Good mornin'Good mornin'
Good mornin'

The view of downtown from our hotel window.
Urban warriorsUrban warriors
Urban warriors

We patrol the city
Tourist stopTourist stop
Tourist stop

The "must-see" Public Market. Okay, we saw it.
All children are artistsAll children are artists
All children are artists

Some cool tile art at the Monorail station.
No, you're not seeing thingsNo, you're not seeing things
No, you're not seeing things

Here I am at the most strange and funky buildings ever, something called the "Experience" (whaaaa??)
The streets have eyesThe streets have eyes
The streets have eyes

These eyeballs double as benches! Neato!
The world's biggest book!The world's biggest book!
The world's biggest book!

It lives inside the incredible Suzzallo Library on the University of Washington campus and each page weighs 100 pounds. Just kidding. But it's really big.
Elegance in actionElegance in action
Elegance in action

Some details from the fabulous reading room in the Suzzallo Library.
Oh they have books here, too?Oh they have books here, too?
Oh they have books here, too?

Is it any wonder this was named one of the most beautiful libraries in the world? I think not.
Pub farePub fare
Pub fare

Happy Hours are great for indulging in a variety of snacks to make up your dinner. This was like the 5th thing we ordered off the food menu.
What'll it be?What'll it be?
What'll it be?

Our bartender keeps it moving here at the McCormick Irish Pub.
New city, new beerNew city, new beer
New city, new beer

It would be a shame not to try them all.


Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0174s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb