Travelling from Vancouver, BC to Seattle for just USD$4!


Advertisement
North America » United States » Washington » Seattle
November 14th 2005
Published: November 15th 2005
Edit Blog Post

There are many ways to travel between Vancouver, BC and Seattle. Some people take Greyhound, some people take Amtrak, and some people drive. However, a trip by Greyhound, Amtrak, or car easily costs more than USD$20 one way. I'm a stingy person and wanted to save as much money as possible, so I looked for a way to travel from Vancouver to Seattle as cheaply as possible. In the end I managed to do ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Seattle Public Library 3Seattle Public Library 3
Seattle Public Library 3

One more view of the interior. (The design of the library is simply bizarre.)
Seattle Public Library 4Seattle Public Library 4
Seattle Public Library 4

Lime-green escalators!!!
Seattle Public Library 5Seattle Public Library 5
Seattle Public Library 5

Talking sculptures!!!
Seattle Public Library 6Seattle Public Library 6
Seattle Public Library 6

Blood red corridors!!! (It's really eerie to walk along the corridors alone at night...)
Seattle Public Library 6Seattle Public Library 6
Seattle Public Library 6

The corridors somehow remind me of a haunted house... (Looking on the brighter side, they also remind me of Chinese New Year.)
Smith TowerSmith Tower
Smith Tower

Smith Tower at night, with the moon right beside it. Built in 1914 by type-writer tycoon L.C. Smith, the skyscraper was once the tallest building west of New York.
Elliott Bay Book CompanyElliott Bay Book Company
Elliott Bay Book Company

Located near Pioneer Square in Downtown Seattle, this book store is a bookworm's heaven, with a convenient location, a pleasant atmosphere, incredible collection and long opening hours.
Kinokuniya BookstoreKinokuniya Bookstore
Kinokuniya Bookstore

Kinokuniya Bookstore in the International District. This bookstore has an incredible collection of Asian and Japanese books and audio-visual materials. The prices are also reasonable, as the items in this Seattle branch cost around the same as those in Singapore or Hong Kong.
Chinese MangaChinese Manga
Chinese Manga

The incredible collection of Chinese manga (comic books) in the Kinokuniya Bookstore in Seattle
Uwajimaya SupermarketUwajimaya Supermarket
Uwajimaya Supermarket

Asian snacks on sale in Uwajimaya Supermarket, the largest Asian market in the Pacific Northwest. The supermarket is located in the International District in Downtown Seattle.
Uwajimaya Supermarket 2Uwajimaya Supermarket 2
Uwajimaya Supermarket 2

Sauces, sauces and more sauces!!! No matter you want to cook soya sauce chicken, oyster sauce broccoli, chilli crab, black pepper beef, satay chicken, curry mutton, teriyaki beef, sweet & sour pork, tom yam prawns, or whatever, you'll find your sauce here. (This supermarket is even larger than Vancouver's T&T supermarket!)
Red Light DistrictRed Light District
Red Light District

Hmm... I don't need to elaborate further...



6th December 2005

Wow, that's quite an adventure! I wonder just how far one could go, and for how little money, just taking the local bus.
30th December 2005

Heading to lynnwood
TAKING THE BUS FROM BLAINE TO LYNNWOOD TOMORROW.THANKS FOR THE BREAKDOWN ON BUSES TO TAKE..HOPE MY TRIP GOES AS SMOOTH AS YOURS.GOT TO STOP AT BOEING ONE OF THESES DAYS..FACINATING I'M SURE.
17th March 2007

Thank you! I love transit stories and useful travel info like this.
22nd March 2007

Thanks for Inspiration
Thanks for the inspiration of traveling in buses, it is the only transport mean that I have and learning to harness, for fulfilling my travel desires
9th April 2008

holy moly
wow, that is so cool. i'm in vancouver, b.c. i have family in everet and in linwood. and i don't have a car !!! have travelled by greyhound and also the shuttle that goes from via rail station in vancouver to downtown seattle. i don't have a ubc bus pass (mandatory now i think for you) but even so, the local bus fare is reasonable. thanks for the long winded and oh, so detailed travel tips
1st May 2008

Nice Work
I like your work fine man, you inspire travelers around the world.
13th May 2008

OK
Now if you got yourself a part-time job so you can afford to pay transport just like everybody else, you would have save yourself a ton of sweat and pain from walking. Just imagine if you wasted your time working and make real money, instead you wasted your time walking and earn nothing but a lot of pain from waiting and walking not to mention burning calories that cost you money to put it in your stomach. What the hell did you learn from UBC?
19th June 2008

Totally incredible
All best for your continued efforts in proving the public transit to be handy !!! Happy Saving!!
13th August 2008

Thanks!
Very interesting adventure. I appreciate your taking the time to share these details.
22nd August 2008

You are Cheap
Man, you are the cheapest guy that I think there is possible. Glad you shared it though. Now I can compare you to my boyfriend and make him feel good.
31st December 2008

You live in Singapore now? I just migrated to Vancouver from Singapore and I'm going to UBC next year. It would've been nice to know you when you were in Vancouver. Your adventure sounds fun!I would like to try that someday *grins*
18th January 2009

thanks for the info
This is probably quite useful for people who have time on their hands, want to see smaller towns in Washington State , are interested in aircraft construction and aren`t afraid of walking from Surrey Central to Newton in the middle of the night. (Surrey has the highest crime rate in Canada). I think it`s great that you attempted this and had a good experience! You`re an adventurer at heart.
4th April 2009

you are an inspiration to budget travellers, especially since seattle-vancouver trips can be so expensive! you are AMAZING. btw i'm from singapore too :)
18th August 2009

haha I've done this before as well! I had 6 hours to get from bellingham to seattle for a flight and figured Id just take every public transportation i could find. I did it without planning even. just asked every bus driver for best way to get towards seattle! i loved it
9th September 2009

legendary
You are a machine. What a great idea - and good on you for seeing it through. I initially came to this site with the intention of finding a quick, but cheap trip to SeaTac from Vancouver - but this won't quite work! But still very enjoyable to read about your adventure.
12th November 2009

I am not trying that but good for you!
I am definetly not going to do that, but holy mol~ that is crazy! I drive 3.5 hrs down and it cost about 50 dollars if you consider gas, engine and all that! But interasting, I like it!
27th November 2009

Question
Hi, Just wanna ask : your trip from Blaine to Stanwood, Stanwood to Lynnwood, and from Lynnwood to Seattle. Do you have to stay in the same bus terminal or exchanges to get into your next bus, or you have to walk somewhere to catch your next bus? If in the same terminal exchange, so that means I just have to look for the bay station around the terminal?
1st March 2010

I love cheap travel
I was trying to figure out which buses to get once I was in Blaine, thanks for laying out the details you saved me some time. I LOVE finding the absolute cheapest way to get places, it's half the fun of traveling. I think it would be awesome if someone traveled across the entire US from coast to coast using nothing but public transit (not Greyhound).
16th April 2010

A little dated, but still useful!
Thanks for the writeup. You did a lot of the legwork for me and others. Useful and helpful. :)
8th May 2011

Thanks for giving this handy info. although its already 6 years since you did this,when i checked the price listings for now,it went up from 50 cents to one dollar. anyways,going to do this adventure next week weather permitting!
12th June 2011

This is Hilarious!
Such a GREAT post! I dont know if these routes are still available but i hope so! For other great trips around B.C try this site here: http://timetravelbc.com/events thanks for this!
19th June 2011

Awesome!!
I been looking for directions from Seattle to Vancouver myself (more particular Lynnwood to burnaby) but with this I am a lot closer to figuring out how to get my trip
20th December 2011

lol typo
"The bus finally departed at 11:16am and it reached the Boeing factory at 11:36pm." WOAAAH 12 HOUR BUS RIDE!!!
29th May 2012

interesting to travel your bus
eager to take a ride your very affordale bus
19th August 2012

times and pickup place in vancouver
I am coming in from cruise [HOLLAND[ on 9-22 12. need to get to seattle that day {22) can it be done % how much? there will be 2 guys taking the ride thanks jeanne mcneill

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 10; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb