Another Reason to Like Washington (State)


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Seattle » U-District
February 20th 2014
Saved: October 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

California's tech cred is unmatched. The Golden State is home to many of the world's digital giants, such as Apple (AAPL) and Google (GOOG), and its startup ecosystem is the envy of entrepreneurs around the globe.
Yet, among the 50 states and District of Columbia, it's not the most innovative.

Bloomberg Rankings recently analyzed each state on several levels, including: the concentration of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) workers; research-and-development spending; the percentage of public tech companies; and patent approvals. Based on those and other factors, we came up with a list of the most innovative states.

Washington ranked as the most innovative state, based on these factors:
STEM* professionals as a percentage of state population: 2.82 percent
Science and tech degree holders as a percentage of state population: 9.51 percent
Utility patents granted as a percentage of U.S. total: 4.45 percent
State government R&D spending as a percentage of U.S. total: 1.75 percent
Gross state product per employed person: $101,985
Three-year change in productivity: 4.96 percent
Public tech companies as a percentage of all public companies based in the state: 21.37 percent

*STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics

Needless to say, California is ranked number two. Much like our NFL football teams, we both feature great defense, and a steady if unspectacular offense. Our states tend to mirror each other in many ways, except perhaps the weather.
Yes, Seattle has Microsoft, and Amazon, a plethora of biotech and tech companies. It has the most millionaires under the age of 50. It has great coffee, fantastically innovative cuisine, and forward thinking people. But like San Francisco, it also has homeless, and empty business fronts. It has tourists near the top of their revenue stream. But the city has that high tech vibe, whether in the workforce, or just hanging out as a tourist. Everyone is wired, but the Seattle crazies tend to be double or triple wired. I wonder what happens when they hit a dead spot? As the world moves away from Microsoft, I wonder what this city will be like in 2020 or beyond? Will the thundering herd wear Google Glass, and trip over their own feet on their way to buy a latte'? Or will they figure something else and become human again? No matter, it is a curious and energetic place. I cannot wait to see what comes next!

I must also tell you that Seattle people, as a rule, are better behaved at concerts than in the Bay Area. Last night's Paul Simon and Sting concert was fairly well behaved. No pot smoking,seat kicking, overly talkative audience. The venue leaves much to ne desired, the old Key Arena, originally built for the World's Fair back in the Sixties. It is one of the main reasons their NBA team, the Sonics,moved to OKC, of all places.
We also enjoyed a couple of great meal yesterday, firt at Seatown near Pike Market. We had a crab BLT, quite decadent, and a nice ahi burger. Dinner last night before the concert at Lola was equally superb, with the black cod and some brussels sprouts highlighting our meal. Of course, it never hurts to have Ben as our waiter! We topped it off with their famous coconut cream pie for dessert.

COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb