The Getaway to Alaska


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We began our trip on Thursday, June 9th, flying up to Seattle, one of my favorite cities. During the 90s, I would fly up a couple of times per month to support several large claims offices. We finally hired an IT dude fulltime to support the Northwest in 2001, so my trips became less frequent. However, I learned a good deal of the city layout and fine dining haunts.

It appeared that summer had finally arrived in Sacramento Thursday morning, just in time for us to leave and head into the grey skies of the Northwest. We were undaunted as we landed in a blustery environment. After spending some time getting settled, we headed to dinner at Salty’s in West Seattle. It’s one of Seattle’s most popular seafood joints with a spectacular view of the city skyline across Elliott Bay. Its popularity is surprising, given its pricey menu. You do pay for the ambiance. But hey, we ARE on vacation, so we sampled a good variety of shrimp, oysters, clams, calamari, salmon and halibut. It’s a great destination if you love seafood.

While dining out on the deck—in heavy coats—we noticed a flock of Canadian geese meandering around the shoreline. Whether in the water, or on land, their regimented formation was quite entertaining.

After dinner, we drove around the Alki neighborhood. Lani was amazed to see all of the folks enjoying the grey, overcast evening. There were a lot of groups on the beaches, huddled around fire pits or playing volleyball. Joggers, skaters and bicyclists were a tour de force at 8:30 PM. I guess it is considered a great day to get out when it’s not raining.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Canadian GeeseCanadian Geese
Canadian Geese

Follow the leader.
Canadian GeeseCanadian Geese
Canadian Geese

Breaktime to refuel.
Salty's in AlkiSalty's in Alki
Salty's in Alki

This picture was taken from Pike's Market across Elliott Bay.
The DreamlinerThe Dreamliner
The Dreamliner

We saw several Boeing 787s flying around. Will they ever be ready for commercial flying?


Tot: 0.255s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb