Pumice and Geologists


Advertisement
Published: July 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

6am, yes they have that in America too. We had to get up super early to pick up our rental car and head out to Mt St Helens. The car in question was the stunningly mediocre Dodge Neon. Essentially it astounded us by not being totally useless, although when you put your foot down all that happened was that the engine sounded as if it were about to explode.

The trip to St Helens is pretty straight forward, take I-5 north turn right and when the road finishes your pretty much there, that’s the kind of directions I like. Cesco took the first stint as I didn’t fancy my first go at driving a left hand drive car and an automatic round the confusing signed Portland streets at rush hour (cheers man). Mt St Helens dominates things pretty early on from the road, its big snow filled crater occasionally belching out smoky gasses as we approached (the volcano is currently erupting, ace). We pulled over to get some photos of the mountain and encountered some Elk, who are apparently the ‘ladies of the night’ of the animal kingdom (you learn something new every day, eh).

We pulled up to the visitors centre at about 11, which meant the place was deserted, and started walking the boundary trail (some trails were closed due to volcanic activity) and read the posters about what to do if ash and bits of rock start falling from the sky (apparently not much as if that starts happening and you’re as near the crater as we were you’ve pretty much had it). The trail was excellent with totally clear skies we got great views of the crater on the north side and the devastation that was still all around after 25 years (if 1300ft of mountain was blasted at mach 1 across your garden it would look a state). Close to the mountain there was nothing but lumps of rock but 5 miles out where we were there were wild flowers and the fist few trees starting to grow. A nice geologist called Rus (thanks to him) filled us in on all this as we walked. However the lakes were still filled with tree trunks and the place had a quiet lunar feel (no birds at all).

Anyway that’s enough for one blog, we’re getting some photos put on a CD today so should have some loaded up in a couple of days. California here we come!


Advertisement



20th July 2006

Factoid
Chap, A little known fact which may aid your volcanic shenanigans - "...tweed is, in fact, impervious to fire as well as volcanic ash, flaming boulders and pyroclastic clouds, as I discovered on my recent caper to Mount Etna. However, all of my sherpas and man-servants perished. I am now forced to make tea myself, which is most disagreeable. Despite the expense, I shall now endeavour to clothe all of my man-servants in the finest tweed." (as quoted from Col. Tarquin Chuff-Barley's (Retired) splendid book: 'Travels in Johnny Foreigner's Land - Ripping Yarns of Tweed Based adventures in A World Gone Mad') Yours, Topper
21st July 2006

Good on yer mate
So says the tag line of the best selling beer in New Zealand. And tis true, great to see the two of you discovering the clearly in need of discovering by a floppy haired brit (we're heavens breed according to tests) and a understandably triumphant italian (mute but warm congrats ces). Anyway i'll have to email you buggers to get up to date. Ces i havent been in touch with you forever (boo). but now i will (yay). John - word (as usual). Oh and you better find snoop and dre or i'll cry.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb