Day 2 - Portland to Toutle, WA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Mt St Helens
September 8th 2020
Published: September 10th 2020
Edit Blog Post

The beginning of our day was pretty leisurely. We got a late check out from the hotel, and after having breakfast, we vegged in our room until noon. A cab picked us up and brought us to the Cruise America rental location, and they processed us as soon as we arrived. We immediately left for the local Fred Meyers grocery store to stock up on our supplies for the next 9 days. Our grocery cart looked like we had 8 kids back at home we were trying to feed. After stowing everything away, we hit the road. Destination - TOTAL WINE store. Taking care of procuring our most important staples, we headed out once again, up US 5 for Toutle,WA. Traffic leaving the city was quite heavy, and just north of Portland, the smoke that is plaguing the area got quite thick. Apparently there are numerous fires burning all over the states of Oregon and Washington, with considerable road closures. Hopefully our itinerary won't bring us to any of these areas.

We arrived at the ECO Ranch Resort around 5:00pm, and thankfully the smoke dissipated about 20 miles south of our destination. This RV park is located in a beautiful area, and we were told when we made out reservations that we would be the only two RV's in the park. We were greeted by the Manager, who escorted us to the sites that we would be staying at. On our way there, Ray noticed that John was nowhere to be seen. Diane finally called us on the walkie talkie and said that John didn't know how to release the emergency brake. After about 5 minutes of trying to talk them through this difficult procedure, they got it released and joined us down the road. Naturally, Ray just let it go, and didn't belabor the issue with John. (right).

We then proceeded to enjoy our perfunctory cocktail hour outside in the beautiful surroundings, followed by a gourmet delight of hot dogs and beans, served up at Chez German.

We hit the sack around 8:30, as we're planning an early departure tomorrow and a long day of travel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



10th September 2020

Hi from The Cape
I’m glad you are on the road again and I look forward to following your progress. It almost makes me feel like I have something to do. It’s a little boring here. Please keep informed about the fires. They’re terrible and spreading.
10th September 2020

You guys are still looking young as ever. Have a great trip I’ll be looking forward to the daily blog and pictures
10th September 2020

Looks fun...
Looks like all are having a great time! Must be the wine!!!! LOL Enjoy and stay safe
11th September 2020

Figured out how to find your blog!
So enjoying your commentary. Glad the flight out wasn’t too much of a downer. You are seeing parts of these two states I have not had the opportunity to visit with Pete’s home being north of Seattle.
11th September 2020
Cocktails with Friends

Cocktails....
Nice Happy Hour picture❤️

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0193s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb