Day 5 - Colonial Williamsburg


Advertisement
Published: June 29th 2022
Edit Blog Post

There is so much interesting history here in Colonial Williamsburg. Colonial Williamsburg is a living history museum and you'll feel like you are living in the 18th century. Jamestown was the original capital of the Virginia Colony and was the first permanent English-speaking settlement in the new world founded in 1607. In 1699 it was petitioned to make Middle Plantation, later rename Williamsburg the capital in honor of King William III.

Today I met Patrick Henry and George Wythe, both amazing historical figures. Patrick Henry was the first and sixth Governor of post-colonial Virginia. He is the orator of the "Give me liberty or give me death". He fought for independence from England and he opposed the US Constitution because he was afraid of a strong central government without a Bill of Rights. George Wythe was a founding father of the United States and signed the Declaration of Independence . Wythe, a lawyer, taught and mentored Thomas Jefferson, John Marshall and Henry Clay among others. He also became the country's first Law professor at the College of William and Mary. Today's activities included tours of the Capital, the Governor's Palace, Wythe's House, the Courthouse, Taverns and several other historical buildings. Enjoy the photos!


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0818s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb