Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, Shanendoah Valley


Advertisement
Published: February 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Trent and Denise planned an overnight stay for us all in the Shanendoah Valley at the National Historic Village, Harpers Ferry, where the majestic Potomac River cuts through the Blue Ridge. In the force of these rushing waters George Washington envisioned military strength and chose this site for a U.S. Armory. Factories from the early 1800s witnessed innovations that fueled the Industrial Revolution. It was here abolitionist Johm Brown struck a blow against slavery and soon the Civil War trapped the town between North and South.

With a beautiful balmy day on our arrival on Friday, the marked change in temperature on Saturday was a bit of a shock. Beanies, warm coats, scarves and boots saved us as we walked around the village taking in the history of this significant site. After our climb up the hill to visit Jefferson Rock, with Harper House, St Peter's Catholic Church and some ruins along the way, hot ciders, coffee, blueberry muffins and apple strudel on our return to the village helped to warm us up. John Brown Museum, John Brown's Fort, The Point, the Bookshop, demonstrations of apple cider making as it was done in these early years and many and varied shops provided endless interest as we strolled the streets.

The girls are learning all about the Revolution, Freedom, Civil War, Civil Rights at school and were very excited to actually visit this well-presented and preserved piece of American history.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 22


Advertisement











Tot: 0.265s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb