Halloween in the USA - our last night


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Reston
October 31st 2015
Published: February 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

As Aussies, we have heard so much about the preparations and celebrations for Halloween, but actually being a part of it all was incredible.

It all started well in advance, with our visit to Hollins Farm two weeks before the big day, to gather and pay for a selection of pumpkins for display at home. The children gathered their wagon and with Poppy's help pulling the wagon uphill, they began choosing which pumpkins would be best. When this task was complete, we also picked fresh apples from the Farm's orchard, filling several bags. The children ran throughout the many rows of trees gathering their apples delightedly, before moving down hill to dig for potatoes and peanuts.

On Wednesday, prior to Halloween, Denise and I attended Charlie's preschool Halloween morning, sharing in the activities and chidren's costume parade. The teachers and mothers had gone to a lot of trouble to provide a colourful Halloween morning tea for the children, cleverly incorporating healthy options and special treats. It was a special treat to experience Charlie's schooling with him and see his happy face at having us there with him.

The big day is drawing nearer and Denise and the children prepare a couple of pumpkins to be hollowed out, cut out with the aid of special transfers, ready to have tea lights display the beautiful figures created. Tilly was very helpful in scooping out the pumpkins and Denise did a brilliant job of cutting and shaping. The effect was gorgeous!

Finally, the big day arrives. However, the Rugby World Cup Final just happens to coincide and Trent has arranged for a few of his Aussie mates to join us for an Aussie barbecue lunch, viewing the game live on the big screen TV. Sadly, Australia was defeated, but the Halloween fun was a huge hit. The children dressed in their chosen costumes, which they had had for about 10 days now, as did we adults. Max also had his special coat from the previous year. As it grew dark, we set off around the neighborhood with the children running in and out of the various driveways knocking on doors, excitedly gathering more and more treats. Eventually, upon returning home, they each emptied their sacks with eyes almost popping out and squeels of delight! We were amazed that they eventually fell asleep!

Early the following morning, Les and I
said very sad farewells with heavy hearts. There were tears all around, with long-lasting hugs and kisses before we waved farewell, as Trent drove us to the airport. We all agreed not much more could have been fitted into our visit with our beautiful family. It had been 20 months since we had seen the children, 14 months since we saw Denise and Trent at Barry's 80th birthday celebration in Melbourne. We were all well aware that it would be quite sometime before we saw each other again, next time, in Australia when they return to Sydney. Another tearful farewell at the airport, but with the knowledge that we would see Trent again in San Fransisco in a few days' time, it made it a little easier to board that plane.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement








Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb