Second try


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Norfolk
January 4th 2013
Published: January 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The weather is behaving and giving us a favourable window starting tonight. We will leave at midnight. The winds will be higher as we start out, but will diminish as the night goes on. If we are not too tired we will skip Beaufort and head for Wrightsville Beach because the winds and waves are still very calm right into Sunday. Plan for the moment is to arrive at Wrightsville Beach in Masonboro Inlet by 2 pm Sunday. We will monitor weather and our fatigue and make the decision along the way. We are now making final lists of things we need to get done before we tuck in for an early sleep this evening.

We had tested the motor again yesterday and to our disappointment although it was better it was still overheating at high revolution. Since we had not found the three little pieces of impeller when we replaced it, we were maybe expecting to still have an issue if they were stuck in the heat exchanger and had not somehow miraculously expelled themselves altogether. We wanted to have it properly checked so we asked about a mechanic and were able to have one come see us first thing this morning. He not only found our three pieces, but another 5 pieces of some other impeller from another time. How the engine was even working as well as it was up until now is beyond me. So hopefully now there will be no more issues, but of course it's possible that there are more little pieces somewhere considering there was another previous broken impeller we were not aware of. Fingers crossed all is fine!

There was heavy frost on the boat and the docks this morning, and a thin layer of ice on the water. I have enjoyed my stay here in Norfolk- there is a lot to do and we have met some great people. But that whiteness is a sign it's time to move on, to try to get to where we don't need our heater and therefore don't need to pull into a marina.

We'll check in when we land somewhere!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



5th January 2013

Way to go Mon!
By the time this e-mail reaches you you will be only a few hours from the next big part of your adventure-the get going and get away part. Glad you were able to find the pieces. I spoke with Rick today about you all and he brought up that concern also. The important thing is to just keepgoing, sometimes slow, sometimes fast, sometimes interrupted-but always in the same direction your dreams lead you. Bon Voyage agaiRoger and Sarah
9th January 2013

Tank you mon! By now you will have read that finding the pieces didn't solve the problem totally. We will not leave Beaufort until the motor is ok- that's it! Good thing I like Beaufort ;)
6th January 2013

Awww Shit I'm Nervous
Hello you guyz, Ok so call me Captain Canal ........I have no guts ( read that as no testicals) for the open ocean and confused waves.I , I mean Rachel n me are awaiting your next post-blog-email- telephone call.... WHATEVER.....R U OK. Wishing YOU only good things. Awaiting your next contact... Muah & XoXoX U no who
9th January 2013

safe in Beaufort NC! :)

Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0802s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb