Northeast USA & Canada 2022


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Vermont » Waterbury
September 10th 2022
Published: September 18th 2022
Edit Blog Post

While studying our next few days, I learned, last night, that Ben & Jerry’s was closed on Sunday and Monday so we decided to change our plans and head to Waterbury today. It’s just something we all really wanted to do….go to Ben & Jerry’s. So right after breakfast we headed on our way.

Terry wanted to drive by Lake George, so I set the GPS to take us to Lake George (also a village on the lake) and right up along the Lake and other villages. Again we keep seeing classic and antique cars, but many more than the previous two days!! As we enter Lake George Village we see lots and lots of people. There are chairs lined up along the streets. Every hotel lot is filled. There is no place to park. Finally we stop and ask some people walking along the street what was going on….it’s a big annual car show. There must have been a parade in the works too. Try as I might, I didn’t get any good pics of the cars but our heads sure were turning. Many of those antique, classic cars were ones we drove in high school!! It was awesome!

Lake George is located at the southern end of the famed Adirondack Park in Upstate New York. At 32 miles long, up to 2.5 miles wide, and with depths reaching 200 feet, it is considered to be among the clearest and cleanest large lakes in the world. We drove right up the shoreline and couldn’t believe how beautiful it was around the lake. Every community was filled with people, either locals or visitors. While there were shorter ways to get to Waterbury, we were so glad we decided to drive along the lake.

Lake George flows into Lake Champlain which sits between New York and Vermont and continues up into Quebec, Canada. It is 120 miles long and 12 miles wide at its widest point. In order for us to get to Vermont we would cross Lake Champlain by ferry. All along the way we encountered cute lakeside towns.

It wasn’t long when we pulled in to Waterbury, the home of Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream Factory! We were so excited! You had to purchase your tour tickets in advance and our tour time was 1:45. We had time to eat before we did the tour! I
really wanted to get the Vermonster sundae. It’s 20 scoops of ice cream, four sliced bananas, three chocolate chip cookies chopped, two brownies cubed, 6 servings of hot fudge and caramel, plus chopped nuts, and five other toppings, plus whipped cream! This is all in a fairly large plastic bucket. The others didn’t think we could eat that much do Terry and I shared the mini Vermonter, which was about 1/4 the size of the large one. We didn’t have any trouble eating it, but decided, with all the toppings, you could hardly taste the flavors of ice cream. No complaints from me!!

We joined our tour at 1:45. I was so glad we decided to take the tour because it was the only way to get into the large gift shop. The only other gift shop was about the size of a closet and only had about 4 shirts, an apron, ice cream scoop, and a mug. The large gift shop had tons of stuff! We also got to see them processing pints of ice cream. We also got to taste test the cookie dough (for cookie dough ice cream) and strawberry cheesecake ice cream. It was fun!
We also visited the graveyard of flavors where the honor the flavors that never survived!

Once we left there we had to back track a little to get to our Airbnb for the night at Au Sable Forks, NY. We were excited to reach our destination as the guys were going to fish and the gals were going to cook dinner. I unlock the door and look around…..the place hadn’t been cleaned from the previous visitors. I called the owner and within minutes a woman came running across the parking lot. She was the back up cleaner and just returned to town. She was so apologetic. I told her Karen and I would clean the kitchen/dining room so we could start cooking. I looked at this mess up as a blessing. We would never have met Miss Elaine (cleaning lady) if this hadn’t happened. We truly enjoyed meeting her. She shared local info, fishing tips, tourist tips, and was so a neat person to talk with. It wouldn’t have happened if someone hadn’t done their job!!

Fishing was fun. Dinner was great! House was clean. Beds were comfy! It had been a great day!!!





Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement




Around the lake


Around the lake


Vermont


Pretty church
..
.

Ben & Jerrys
..
.

Ben & Jerrys


Ben & Jerrys


Mini vermonster


Mini vermonster


Mini vermonster


Yummy!!!



I should be able to eat my height in pints!!


Ben & Jerrys


Ben & Jerrys


Riding the ferry


By the ferry landing
..
.

By the ferry


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb