Vermont’s Top-Rated Ski Resorts Have Something For Everyone


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Vermont » Stowe
August 15th 2017
Published: August 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

If you’re looking for a great North American skiing adventure, one that combines top-rated accommodations, perfect snow conditions, and gorgeous scenery, several destinations across the United States meet your needs. But you can’t beat the New England area, with its cold winters,for some of the best-known snowboarding locales.

The state of Vermont is a great choice. Located along the border with Canada’s Quebec province to the north, New York to the west, Massachusetts to the south, and Maine to the east, Vermont is known for its lush autumn foliage, its pure maple syrup, and the Green Mountain range. Ranked the seventh coldest state in the U.S., Vermont is definitely ski and snowboard country.

Stowe Mountain (stowe.com)

Located just outside the town of Stowe, it gives visitors the option to ski two peaks: Mount Mansfield, one of the highest peaks in the state, and Spruce Peak. With 116 trails, including black diamond trails for expert skiers judged among the best by SKI Magazine, the resort offers 39 miles of skiable terrain.

In addition, Stowe has lodging options from standard hotels and country inns to home rentals and B&Bs, while dining ranges from the Austrian-styled Cliff House restaurant to casual dining options like the Skinny Pancake and The Canteen. Skiing and snowboarding classes are available, and the resort offers child care. Hat tip to the pro shop, I lost my snowboard boots and jacket and they got a me fitted with some great gear!

Smuggler’s Notch (Smuggs.com)

Smugglers Notch draws skiers and snowboarders to three peaks (Sterling, Morse, and Madonna). In addition to more than 90 ski trails and its own Snow Sport University with classes for all ages and abilities, the resort has trails for cross-country skiers, snowshoe trekkers, and snowmobilers.

What’s more, the resort is entirely self-contained; visitors stay in fully-equipped condominiums on-site with a wealth of amenities at the Village Center a short walk or shuttle ride away, including an indoor pool, restaurants and lounges, kids’ activities, a wellness spa, shopping, and more. The resort is consistently top-rated, with high marks from both singles and families.

Okemo Mountain Resort (Okemo.com)

Okemo is another wise choice within the southern central part of the state. The area incorporates five mountain areas (Solitude Peak, Jackson Gore Peak, South Face, South Ridge, Glades Peak) and boasts 121 trails for skiers and 667 acres of terrain for snowboarders, offering varying degrees of difficulty.

For the most skilled skiers, Okemo also features the highest vertical drop in New England, some 2,200 feet. In the winter of 2016-17, the resort had 145 consecutive days. When not on the slopes, visitors can relax at Spring House Center, the area’s two-level, 18,000-square-foot fitness and aquatic center. Lodging includes eight nearby properties, that include a main lodge and several condo villages.

Honorable mentions also go to Jay Peak, Mount Snow, Killington, and Sugar Bush, other top Vermont destinations for ski buffs with plenty to do once the slopes close for the day. Each resort offers expert ski instruction, equipment rentals, a variety of lifts, and amenities during the season. So enjoy your skiing adventure in Vermont, the “Green Mountain State”!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb