Driving...Moab to Salt Lake City to Yellowstone


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah
July 10th 2016
Published: July 12th 2016
Edit Blog Post

For safety reason we did not drive the recommended path of the GPS we found during our research that US-6 is listed as one of the most dangerous highways in 2002. We opted to take US-191 to I-70 to US-50 and finally to I-15. The drive was longer, but very pleasant and mild with just a few decreasing grades of 6% on I-70 near Moab. We do recommend going through Salt Lake City during none rush hour time. We were fortunate to hit this city on Sunday, but it was still busy. We camped at Wasatch View Estates ($20/night with Passport), it is a mobile home/RV park, but is very nice and clean with a pool and close to food and grocery.

During the drive to Salt Lake City I was calling frantically to every campground near Yellowstone only to find that most were full and VERY expensive, those we found had openings only could provide a night or two of camping, requiring us to move each day. But God blessed us once more, just when I was ready to give up I called back a campground where no one answered earlier. The man said I just hung up with someone cancelling hold on and let me see what this does...... he came back and said I have one week starting tomorrow open. He even allowed us to use our Good Sam's discount, they are the closest RV Park to Yellowstone's West entrance, they have all the amenities plus discounts to the local store of 25% and to the Yellowstone Giant Theater which is a 60 x 80 foot screen. The campground is located right in the heart of town in walking distance to many things giving Nate a little break from driving. So we now have a campground, Buffalo Crossing RV ($54/night after tax with Good Sam's), to head to and will not miss the highlight of the trip.

The following day we continued on I-15 north to US-20, with a last minute stop at Idaho Falls. I am so glad we decided to stop here we went down to Sportsman Park and walked around. The waterfall at the dam is gorgeous and powerful, there are many paths to walk near the dam and a Japanese Garden. It is a quite, romantic area that I would love to visit in the evening. We continued onto the campground on US-20. The drive was very easy with only one decreasing grade right after passing Targhee National Forest, but honestly an easy drive with the trailer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0149s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb