Zion National Park - Sep 23 & 24


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Zion National Park
September 25th 2013
Published: October 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

This was a full day travel from Sedona. Since Highway 89 past Page to Zion Park was a long detour because of a rock slide over the road, we went via Highway 89A and crossed the Colorado down stream of Lee's Ferry. Then enjoyed views of the Echo Cliffs and Vermillion Cliffs and past the Grand Canyon North Rim road at Jacobs Lake. Unfortunately our large RV would not make the gravel road trip north up House Valley from 89A to 89 – saved for another time with a better vehicle. House Valley Road passes the trail to the “Wave” - a famous sandstone rock formation only accessible through a scarce reservation system.

We arrived at our RV Park near Zion Park at sunset after a long day through beautiful desert scenery.

Next day we took the Zion shuttle bus system to the Angels Landing trail and climbed to the lookout. There were many folk going up and down this trail but fortunately it has been hardened by the park staff. The final 500 feet is up a steep switchback trail cut from the rock face. It rises through a narrow (20 metres wide) canyon between two opposing rock cliffs. Kayla got many pictures of one cliff reflecting sun light across the canyon to the other cliff. The day started and ended with visits to two rock shops where Richard made several purchases.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0842s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb