Red Fleet State Park - Dinosaur Trackway, Vernal, Utah


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Vernal
April 19th 2012
Published: April 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Red Fleet State Park is located in the heart of Dinosaur Diamond , 10 miles north of Vernal on Utah Highway 191. The park name was inspired by three large Navajo sandstone outcrops jutting up from the landscape as if a fleet of ships. At an elevation of 5,600 feet, Red Fleet offers camping, picknicking, swimming, fishing and boating. Red Fleet State Park is also known for the Dinosaur Trackway although limited on both time and daylight I was unable to experience this prehistoric landmark. Two hundred million years ago, this area looked like the Sahara Desert. And like the Sahara, the area had oases of shallow desert lakes called playas. Dinosaurs journeyed to the small playas among the dunes. We know this from the tracks left behind in the wet sand. Hundreds of dinosaur tracks now lay exposed for you to see in the Navajo sandstone with trackway trail guides available at the trail head.

Juniper, sagebrush, native grasses, and cactus dominate the area. Red Fleet is home to mammals such as rabbits, ground squirrels, bobcats, badgers, coyotes, and mule deer. Golden-eagles can be seen sunning themselves on sandstone cliffs. Other birds include magpies, hawks, mountain bluebirds, pinion jays, vultures, owls, and an occasional osprey. Bald eagles visit the area during winter months.

8750 North Highway 191 Vernal, Utah 84078
(435) 789-4432


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb