Swimming pool or no swimming pool?


Advertisement
Published: June 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

As we sped towards Utah, we took a short side trip to the Vermillion Cliffs. We crossed over the Colorado River but we were not able to stop and walk the Navajo suspension bridge and take pictures because there was no turn around.

We made record time throught the desert and mesas of northern Arizona. As we got closer to Utah we discussed where we wanted to camp and it came down to 'do we want a swimming pool?' Gary said yes so we stopped at Gouldings in the National Monument area. We found out how fortuante we were to stop here. First, it is a beautiful campground built into the red hills. Monument Valley is famous for being the back drop of many movies. More on that tomorrow after we visit.

This particular campground is in the heart of the Navajo land. The gal at the campground office told us about the Monument Valley Navajo Powow taking place at the high school tonight. We took her up on the offer and attened. It was a spectacular event, everyone dressed up in native costumes. We didn't stay until the end but we enjoyed the drum competition and the teeny tots competition. I saw one young girl who reminded my of my two youngest granddaughters dressed up and enjoying herself.

Well, time to hit the sack. More tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Little oneLittle one
Little one

She reminded me of the granddaughters


Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb