E-biking (or not) in Moab


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Moab
November 16th 2017
Published: November 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Abbey CottageAbbey CottageAbbey Cottage

Where Edward Abbey wrote "The Monkey Wrench Gang"
"E-bikes are not allowed on these trails" I was informed by a thirty something clean-shaven man with short dark hair as I stood astride my Cube researching the trail-head map. After I established that Dave was a bike tour guide with no official status he softened his tone and a respectful discussion on the pros and cons of e-bikes ensued while I waited for Sandy to appear on her e-bike. "We had to lobby hard to have e-bikes banned" Dave pronounced proudly. I suggested that in 30 years, when his legs grew old, he would regret that decision.

I also speculated that he was the driver of one of the many bike tour vans that would speed through Moab well above the posted limit. His silence conveyed his guilt. So, I continued, I intend to disregard the "no e-bike" signs, just as he ignores the posted speed limit in town, and suffer the consequences. "Having been briefly in local government" I informed Dave matter-of-factually "that bylaws are easy to make but rarely enforced"

Belligerence must be in the air at Pack Creek Ranch. Our neighbors pointed out that our rented cabin was adjacent to Abbey Cottage, a one room log cabin where Edward Abbey wrote The Monkey Wrench Gang, the definite guide to outrageous civil disobedience and environmental activism.

The next day as we set of on a single track trail, I was reflecting on our conversation. One hundred yards up the trail, my rear wheel hit a rock and the bike came to an abrupt halt. My derailleur had been bent and was tangled in the rear wheel spokes. Unable to wheel the bike, I had to carry it back to the car. E-bikes are a lot heavier than regular mountain bikes! Poetic Justice you say!!

At the local bike shop, they determined that the hanger had failed. For those non-bikers; in the event that the derailleur is bent, the hanger, which attaches the derailleur to the frame, is designed to fail such that the frame is not damaged. It had worked as intended. All we have to do is find a new hanger, a $16 part. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of hangers on the internet. There are no Cube dealers in the USA, let alone Moab, but after much searching we located dealers in the UK, where Cube bikes are popular, and we
Dead Horse PointDead Horse PointDead Horse Point

E-bike friendly trails
are now waiting for a hanger to be shipped. In the meantime we will resort to hiking.

Advertisement



17th November 2017

Moab
Sound like you're having a great trip. Jim and I spent some time in Moab several years ago and really enjoyed the scenery and national parks. Each one is quite different and well worth the visit. On our many trips to Palm Springs we have visited most of the national parks in Utah as well as the Grand Canyon and Sedona in Arizona. Each is different but so interesting. Part of the fun of driving through that area is exploring all the different parks and small towns along the way. Good to hear from you.
28th November 2017
Dead Horse Point

Great photo
I really like this one. A splendid view made even more interesting by the brightly clad intrepid cyclist.

Tot: 0.391s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 67; dbt: 0.148s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb