A scenic goodby, then it’s Happy Anniversary to us


Advertisement
Published: November 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

The photo workshop ends with a mid-day visit to Dead Horse Point State Park near Canyonlands. The peninsula of land overlooks the Colorado River some 2,000 feet below. The river twists and turns among outlines of dirt roads that trace their way across the desert.

A legend says that the point was used as a natural corral for wild horses. The cowboys picked the best ones then left the other horses to die of thirst. Is the story true? Who knows.

We watch the dust from the 4-wheel drives traveling through the landscape.
Alan asks, “Would you like to try that road on another visit to Moab?”
“Of course,” I say, “I’ll just keep my eyes closed on the way out as I point to the steep climb the road makes up the plateau.”

Of course noon isn’t the best light to capture the grandeur of our location, but we try anyway. After an hour or so of snapping photos, Jim gathers the group for one last meeting. Then, we say our goodbyes.

When we planned this road trip, Alan and I realized that we would be traveling on our 7th wedding anniversary. So, we made plans to stop in Bluff for the night. After dinner at the Cottonwood Steakhouse, where the food is cooked outside on a barbecue and the best table is reserved for locals, we returned to our cabin at Desert Rose Inn and Cabins. Sitting on our front porch with a glass of champagne, we watched a late sunset and toasted to a great trip and a wonderful anniversary.

Stay tuned for our next adventure. In late November 21 we travel to New Zealand’s South Island and then cruise through Tahiti on our way from Auckland to Los Angeles.

And, to read more about our photo workshop experience with Jim Altengarten, vist this page at my blog about baby boomer travel, My Itchy Travel Feet


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



22nd November 2007

Happy Anniversary and Happy Cruising!
Your photos in Utah were spectacular and now I can't wait for the next batch from the South Seas. Have a wonderful time. Carlyann

Tot: 0.656s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 27; qc: 142; dbt: 0.3748s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb