Bryce Canyon National Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Bryce Canyon
May 16th 2012
Published: May 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday, May 16, 2012



We arrived at Bryce Canyon National Park about 3 PM on Tuesday (North Campground). We had a little mishap because we set up at the wrong campsite and had to move and set up again. It was OK because Debi and I have become pros at setting up (15min). We decided to do a quick look at the canyons from the rim. It truely is unbelievable.The shapes and colors are out of this world. Thousands of Hoodoos from white to red that look like soldiers lined up for battle.

On Wednesday morning we got up early and arrived at Sunrise Viewpoint at 6:30 AM just as the sun was rising. We hiked among, below and above the limestone formations for 6 hours (Queen Trail to Peek-a-boo to Navaho). So far I think this is the best hike we have had on the whole trip (and we have had some unbelievable hikes). It was a slow hike because every bend in the trail made you stop and look. The limestone formations are the result of erosion and ice wedging of a 30 million year old lake that covered this area (size of Lake Erie). This is some of Mother Natures best work. In the afternoon we drove to the Southern part of the park that gains 2000 feet in elevation. Panoramic views of the stair step plateaus and more remarkable rock formations. Tonight we had a steak dinner and are heading out to the Visitors Center for a lecture on the stars and then star gazing with their telescopes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb