White Canyon, BLM, Blanding, Utah USA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Blanding
September 23rd 2020
Published: March 22nd 2021
Edit Blog Post

Cheesebox ButteCheesebox ButteCheesebox Butte

Utah Hwy 95 West of Bears Ears
I departed from my camp at Bears Ears and continued driving West on Utah Hwy 95 in White Canyon (named after the hard white sandstone at the top of the canyon inner gorge). This is BLM land (Bureau of Land Management) with lots of free legal dispersed camping. I followed Utah Hwy 95 and explored the dirt San Yuan County roads, and ex-county roads (trails still open) that overlook the White Canyon inner gorge (100' to 250' deep); with some descending down the gorge and back up the North side. There is legal free camping permitted on these dirt roads and trails. The BLM will post signs if they do not want you to camp in an area.

I drove the San Juan County road 2124, a nice private place, then moved on for other views.

At the ex San Yuan County Road a there is a historic marker were there was an old 1884 battle between the Utes and Paiute renegades (Native Americans defending their homelands) and the army and cowboys. The army and cowboys suffered one fatality each. There was no record of the Native American fatalities.

Many of the county roads (and ex county roads)
Cheesebox ButteCheesebox ButteCheesebox Butte

legal camp near Utah 95
do cross the inner gorge of White Canyon. San Yuan County road 2261 does cross the White Canyon gorge. I did not cross there, but saw a jeep driving on the North side of the gorge.

The ex San Yuan County road b (by Hwy mile marker #61) crosses the tunnel under Hwy 95; then turns into a serious four wheel drive trail when it crosses the White Canyon creek then up to the North side of the White Canyon gorge. I drove up that gorge in four wheel drive; but on top of the North side that trail got very bad. It took some serious driving to turn my truck around to get back to the highway.

I drove West on Utah Hwy 95 then entered Glen Canyon National Recreation Area (National Park Service) where the legal camping ended.

completed


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Fry CanyonFry Canyon
Fry Canyon

(abandoned facility) from Utah 95
San Yuan County 2141San Yuan County 2141
San Yuan County 2141

near Utah 95 legal camping
ex San Yuan County road aex San Yuan County road a
ex San Yuan County road a

White Canyon legal camp


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb