Texas - the big one


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas
July 6th 2005
Published: July 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Move Over Mick Jagger and David BowieMove Over Mick Jagger and David BowieMove Over Mick Jagger and David Bowie

For those of you old enough to remember, MJ and DB did a duet of 'Dancin in the Street' as part of LiveAid 85. Twenty years on Owen and I had a bash at it in Dallas. We have no contract yet.
Weds 6th July - Dallas calls

Deb gets cash out without losing card. Hurrah.

Buy Owen another watch then it is off to the bus station. Catch the 2pm to Dallas. We seem to be the only non-hispanics on the bus. Travel north towards Ciudad Juarez under some very heavy clouds, alongside very dry desert. Cross into the US at El Paso 8:30pm. Border guard tells us the Olympics will be in London 2012. We invite him to stay. Bus fills up.

Thursday 7th July - Dallas

7:30am at Autobuses Americanos terminal. No idea where we are. Get a cab to the Quality Inn. Fortunately our room is available and we are early enough to have breakfast.

Weather is quite wild, strong winds, lots of rain. Later calms down and we try the pool.

Late afternoon go downtown and visit the 'Sixth Floor Museum' in the building from which Lee Harvey Oswald is alleged to have shot JFK. I was familiar with most of the info. Hopefully the kids will remember it.

TGI Friday's for tea. Surprisingly good.


Friday 8th July - Nothing

More use of pool. Fed at Denny's -
Storm on Day OneStorm on Day OneStorm on Day One

We were not expecting rain, nor high winds but we got them.
far better than our Ft Lauderdale experience though the waitress did grunt a little.

Hurricane Dennis is a cause for concern as we are due in New Orleans on Monday. At present it is on the periphery of the expected path but that can change at any time. We are monitoring via the 'always-on' TV in the hotel room.


Saturday 9th July - Taste of Dallas

On the same weekend as the Hitchin 'Rythms of the World' festival there is the 'Taste of Dallas' street festival. Similar stuff, several music stages, food stalls etc but no street performers. And it was too hot. We survived three hours and retired early.

I reckon Rythms is more fun.


Hurricane Dennis still aiming for Pensacola and inland Alabama. Booked Quality Inn in Alexandria, LA for Sunday night.








Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

6th-floor Window6th-floor Window
6th-floor Window

This is the window from which Lee Harvey Oswald allegedly shot JFK.


Tot: 0.514s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 26; qc: 84; dbt: 0.3864s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb