Nacogdoches Tricentennial Festival, Festival Park, Nacogdoches, Texas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Nacogdoches
July 9th 2016
Published: August 9th 2023
Edit Blog Post

The Nacogdoches Tricentennial Festival was a splendid occasion for everybody there on the three hundredth birthday of Nacogdoches the settlement...the oldest Spanish settlement in Texas (Tejas) on July 9, 1716. I put off my summer vacation to attend, and I was not disappointed. It was a nice day, but hot and humid out.

The reenactment started out with a Roman Catholic Mass; spoke in Spanish, English, and Latin. The Head Monk would sing songs of praise with his deep voice. A bit later they held Catholic communion for the priests; then communion for the Catholic attendees. After the mass there was a short break.

Then the Spanish Squad marched into Festival Park. The Spanish Captain read the Nacogdoches Charter. Then the Captain led the squad to a solute, then fired three vollys of black power. They had given the attendees small brass bells, that we rang to end the reenactment. The Spanish Squad stayed for photos, then had an informal chat with us. This was a good day for everybody.

Now 63 years later Gil Y'Barbo incorporated Nacogdoches as a town.

completed


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb