TX Hill Country to Sangre de Christos Mountains NM


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Llano
April 22nd 2013
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Texas Music Thursday at The Badu House in LlanoTexas Music Thursday at The Badu House in LlanoTexas Music Thursday at The Badu House in Llano

W.C. Jameson and Mike Blakely host Texas Music Thursday at the Badu House
Geo: 30.7593, -98.675

Finally we were all packed up and ready to go. The packing, as usual, took longer than we ever anticipate and we were finally on the road by 7 pm and planned to camp at San Angelo State Park.

We have found that it takes us 12 to 16 hours to get to Santa Fe depending on the route and how many rest stops. We like to break the drive up into two days and camp one night along the way.

Got to San Angelo that night and following the GPS instructions, we headed out toward the San Angelo State Park. Alas, we arrived too late and were out of luck and the park entrances were closed and we had no where to go. Pulled out the big atlas and saw there was a rest stop about 20 miles down the road.

Tired, exhausted but needing somewhere to stop pulled into the rest stop and joined the other 18 wheelers sleeping in our camper there for the night.

Next morning got on the road by 7 and stopped at a promising looking place with a number of cars parked around it
S & R Burrito Express Lamesa, TX, 79331 - YP.comwww.yellowpages.com/lamesa-tx/mi

There were
local people and a guy from out of town who worked in oil consulting and said he always stopped there when driving through.

Once you leave the Texas Hill Country of central
Texas the terrain is the flat High Plains which is great farm land but
not very scenic.

We drove on and were getting stiff and tired so we decided to stop for lunch with the aliens in Roswell! Parked in the Goodwill parking lot and walked several blocks past a flying saucer and aliens driving a covered wagon to Los Cerrito Mexican Kitchen. Great food, hit the spot. Walked back to the Global Warmer and saddled up for the trip on into Santa Fe.

We drove along the vast undeveloped spaces of east central New Mexico. Laura saw a pronghorn antelope and we both saw some raptors.

The closer one gets to Santa Fe the more dramatic and beautiful the landscape becomes. One travels from less than a 1000 feet above sea level in Austin to 6900 feet in Santa Fe, with the Sangre de Cristos towering another several thousand feet above.

The last part of the trip in to Santa Fe we experienced rain but had stopped by the time we pulled in and unhooked the car and got the truck unloaded. Glad to be back so we can go to our exercise classes, ride our bikes, and volunteer with WildEarth Guardians !



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb