Houston (well, kind of)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » La Porte
March 18th 2015
Published: June 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 29.6567, -95.0284

Last night in Loveland, Jeff and I were frantically cooking all the veggies in the refrigerator. 2 pounds of spinach steamed, 12 cups of red lentil carrot soup made, 3 pounds of potatoes peeled and mashed - all destined for our freezer. Trash taken to the curb, cat boxes cleaned, laundry done and hung up, dishwasher run. Mission accomplished!
We were up later than we had intended to be and knew 6am would arrive MUCH too soon.

Our good friend, Tom, rang the doorbell at exactly 7:15, about the time I was thinking of drying my hair. Poor Tom has a terrible cold but he remained good humor as Jeff and I made coffee, ate breakfast and finally Jeff went into the crawl space to turn off the water. I guess it's apparent that we didn't leave the house at our predetermined time. Haha. But no worries - Tom got us to DIA (Denver International Airport) in plenty of time.

While we waited Jeff went to buy coffee for us. I was thrilled when he came back with a Chai for me. What a wonderful and unexpected surprise!! Wait until he finds the bag of Rollos candy I hid in his suitcase.

Our flight to Houston was uneventful but a little concerning because, before she sat down, the woman in the seat next to Jeff's announced that she thought she had the stomach flu and had been sick all night. REALLY??? And you thought it was a good idea to get on a plane?? So, he tried not to breathe and when we got off the plane we hurried to scrub our hands.

Now, perhaps you are wondering...what are we doing in Houston? Well, you probably know that we are frugal folks, but we do love to travel. We are leaving Houston in four days (Sunday, March 22nd) on a cruise ship! And why, you may ask, are we in Houston four days early?? While we got a great deal on the cost of the cruise, the airfare to fly to Houston on Saturday, March 21st was ridiculously high. BUT the cost of flying down on Wednesday, the 18th, and three night's lodging and a rental car was cheaper than coming down on Saturday. Isn't that amazing?

So, here we are at the Holiday Inn Express in La Porte, TX.

After checking in at the hotel, we went to Kroger for supplies. We generally eat very healthily but you'd never know it by our shopping cart - some bananas, salads, tonic water, pretzels, microwave popcorn, and 2 six packs of beer. The refrigerator in our room is full and that should hold us for a day or two.

After grocery shopping we went to a local Italian restaurant, Antonio's Italian Grill. It was relaxing and we felt perfectly comfortable in our shorts and t-shirts so it wasn't a fancy place. The food was good. I had the angel hair Italiano which was angel hair pasta with steamed broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions and capers in a garlic basil sauce; Jeff enjoyed his summer chicken which was chicken, penne pasta, zucchini, eggplant, green pepper and mushrooms in a light lemon cream sauce. Yum! We didn't over eat at all, though it was tempting.

When we got back from dinner we went to look for the hotel's workout room. We found it quickly and suddenly I was really in the mood to ride the exercise bike. While I got started Jeff ran up to our room to drop off my purse and change into a shirt to workout in. I pedaled and he walked on the treadmill for just over an hour. It was a great "dessert"!
Actually the Corona I'm drinking now is dessert.

Tomorrow we are going to do some sightseeing in this area...please come along and explore the outer environs of Houston, TX with us!

Advertisement



19th March 2015

Looking forward to being along on another adventure with you.
20th March 2015

Can't wait!

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb