Hawkins


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Hawkins
February 9th 2016
Published: May 14th 2016
Edit Blog Post

4th – 6th

Mark and Keith came down to New Orleans to pick us up in Mark’s plane. At their suggestion. It sure beats a 10.5hr bus trip up and turned out to be an amazing flight. The scenery was just stunning. We started at an altitude of 6500ft and it was smooth flying, but the wind was against us and we were going slow, so Mark brought us down to 4500ft. Here we were going much faster, but it was a bit bumpy. Nothing major but after an hour or so Mark got sick of it and we went back up to 6500. Did I mention the scenery was amazing?? Loved it!! On approach, we flew over Keith and Teresa’s house..right on the edge of the lake. Hope and the kids were watching and saw us fly overhead as they were waiting for Mark. They met us as we landed. We all came back to K & T’s and then went for dinner a local and very good Italian Restaurant just up the road. Mark and Hope have 4 Children and they are amazing kids. So well behaved and good fun.

Have had a good couple of days exploring around. Phil is in love with Texas and now want’s to live here. Mark took him out shooting and he had a blast. They got a wild pig..which was taken home by Troy for Superbowl Sunday.

Keith organised for us to have Crawfish for dinner one night. Very tasty. Just like yabbies at home as far as the critter is concerned, but they cook it in a heap of spices, so it’s very spicy meat. Just beautiful. Also had ribs…yummy!!

We went for a little tour round the lake on a golf buggy. Keith and Teresa have one in their garage (along with a Harley that Phil is extremely jealous of)



7th

Superbowl Sunday!!

Our first ever Superbowl. Mark and the kids came to pick us up just after lunch and we headed out and about visiting friends. Then we went to Troy’s place…this is where we started. Hope joined us and the food there was just outstanding, dips, chips, nibbles, pulled port tacos (although they weren’t quite ready). Just before the game started we went out to Heavy & Amy’s place. Here again, the food was amazing. I tell you, I didn’t really know too much about the game, and what I do know…I learnt throughout the evening. But I can tell you this….the food they put on is just amazing. Gotta love Superbowl Sunday!!



8th

We had a steak dinner at Kyle and Shelby’s place and Kyle gave us both a Texas shirt. Bren was jealous about mine as it was from the Broncos team (the ones we were going for at Superbowl) and a famous player at that.



9th

Keith took us out on his barge for a tour of the lake, a perfect, shallow draft boat for getting around a stunning lake. I got my haircut from Teresa’s hairdresser who was thrilled at cutting hair for “an aussie”. When we got back, Phil took Keith’s Harley for a cruise around the lake…he was gone a while. Went into Tyler to collect our hire car in the afternoon and then when we got back Mark and the kids were already there. Had a great last evening sharing dinner…Keith had cooked Gumbo…a spicy, very flavoursome Creole dish, and the got icecream cake for dessert. Perfect. The kids all did a few dance routines for me to film…I’ve not known a whole family of groovers before. Wondering if they get that from mum or dad??


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb