Palo Duro Canyon in Canyon, Texas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Canyon
December 11th 2022
Published: March 11th 2023
Edit Blog Post

CCCCCCCCC

The interpretive center had displays and information on the CCC's involvement at Palo Duro Canyon State Park.
It had been 19 years since we last visited awe-inspiring Palo Duro Canyon. Lois drove the RV down the often steep switchback road to the Juniper Campground, about 6 miles into the park. The first day we hiked the Riverside and Cliffside Juniper trails, which included a side trek to a large crevice up a boulder-strewn path. The next day we made the rigorous 6-mile hike up to the Lighthouse rock formation. The last 30 or so yards was very steep with a sheer drop-off on the last turn. Mike was encouraged to crawl across this section by a fellow hiker from Columbia, South America. Definitely out of Mike's comfort zone! The following day we went into Amarillo for a workout at Planet Fitness, lunch at the Big Texan steakhouse, and a short drive on Rt. 66. That night the temperature dropped down to 19F. On our last full day, we checked out the Trading Post and Interpretive Center in the park and the Sad Monkey Emporium a mile or so outside the entrance. While we did not have the star-gazing we enjoyed in 2004, Palo Duro was still amazing. We expect to return for another visit someday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Interpretive CenterInterpretive Center
Interpretive Center

The center included information about the history of the canyon, the plants, the construction of the road down to the canyon, and a gift shop.
PanoramaPanorama
Panorama

View from the top. As you approach the canyon you are surrounded by flat, desert landscape. Then suddenly there is the canyon. Can you imagine arriving here in a wagon?
Topside viewTopside view
Topside view

View from Interpretive Center parking lot.
CampsiteCampsite
Campsite

Pull-through site with sheltered picnic table. We were an easy walk to the shower-house. A breathtaking view in every direction.
HikeHike
Hike

Once we were set-up it was off for a hike to explore our surroundings.
Prickly-PearPrickly-Pear
Prickly-Pear

Definitely different flora than we have in Ohio!
Canyon wallsCanyon walls
Canyon walls

Hard to capture the beauty of Palo Duro with a photo. This was an easy trail along the river on the East side of the road and the cliffs on the west side.
CliffCliff
Cliff

Near the edge of a trail was a cliff. Watch your step, it was about a 20 foot drop.
Canyon floorCanyon floor
Canyon floor

If you get off the trail the plant life is not friendly, most have thorns or spikes.
CanyonCanyon
Canyon

The ground was sandy with a mix of red soil. As we came around a turn on the trail we saw a dear in a thicket.
Canyon wallCanyon wall
Canyon wall

The trail led us to the base of the canyon wall.
Cliff SideCliff Side
Cliff Side

Not a lot of trail signs, but the path is well traveled.
RockyRocky
Rocky

Foliage getting heavier hear the foot of the canyon.
LayersLayers
Layers

The layers of sediment add to the beauty of the canyon walls.
CreviceCrevice
Crevice

Path to the canyon crevice.
ClimbClimb
Climb

We couldn't resist climbing up to the window.
Falling rocksFalling rocks
Falling rocks

The path was challenging due to the loose rocks. Fortunately, we did not experience any falling during our climb.
Birdseye viewBirdseye view
Birdseye view

View from one side of the canyon to the other.
Leaning rockLeaning rock
Leaning rock

Some of the formations near the trail seem to defy gravity.


Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb