Austin guide for visitors


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Austin
September 19th 2008
Published: September 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Austin is the capital of US state Texas. It is part of the Travis County. According to US census data Austin has the population of approximately 750,000 which makes it fourth largest city in Texas and 16th in United States. The total population of the greater Austin metropolitan area is around 1.6 million which includes the suburbs also.

Austin economy is one of the fastest growing in the country by attracting venture capital investment in technology, medicine and healthcare industries which has earned it the nickname “Silicon hills”. This growing economy is supported for its skilled labor by the University of Texas located in Austin.

Austin is situated on the Colorado River, with three man-made (artificial) lakes wholly within the city limits: Lady Bird Lake, Lake Austin, and Lake Walter E. Long. Additionally, the foot of Lake Travis, including Mansfield Dam, is located within the city's limits. The city is also situated on the Balcones Fault, which, in much of Austin, runs roughly the same route as Loop 1 (Mopac Expressway). The eastern part of the city is flat, whereas the western part and western suburbs consist of scenic rolling hills on the edge of the Texas Hill Country. Because the hills to the west are primarily limestone rock with a thin covering of topsoil, portions of the city are frequently subjected to flash floods from the runoff caused by thunderstorms. To help control this runoff and to generate hydroelectric power, the Lower Colorado River Authority operates a series of dams that form the Texas Highland Lakes. The lakes also provide venues for boating, swimming, and other forms of recreation within several parks located on the lake shores.

Austin has a humid subtropical climate, characterized by hot summers and mild winters. On average, Austin receives 33.6 inches (853.4 mm) of rain per year, with most of the precipitation in the spring, and a secondary maximum in the fall. During springtime, severe thunderstorms sometimes occur, though tornadoes are rare in the city. Austin is usually at least partially sunny.

Austin is known as The Live Music Capital of the World, the city has a vibrant live music scene with more music venues per capita than any other U.S. city. Austin's music revolves around the many nightclubs on 6th Street and an annual film/music/multimedia festival known as South by Southwest. The city has a burgeoning circle of live performance theater venues such as: Zachary Scott Theater Center, Vortex Repertory Company, Salvage Vanguard Theater, Arts on Real, Scottish Rite Children's Theater, Hyde Park Theatre, and Esther's Follies, a comedy and magic show.

The longest-running concert music program on American television, Austin City Limits, is videotaped on the University of Texas at Austin campus. Austin City Limits and Capital Sports & Entertainment run the Austin City Limits Music Festival, an annual music and art festival held at Zilker Park in Austin. The long-running outdoor musical, the Zilker Park Summer Musical, expects to celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2008. The Urban Music Festival is held during the Texas Relays weekend every April. Other annual events include Eeyore's Birthday Party, Spamarama, and the Austin Reggae Festival in April and Carnival in February. Halloween, St Patrick's Day, Independence Day, and Juneteenth (Emancipation Day) are all widely celebrated, in addition to two important Mexican holidays, May 5 (Cinco de Mayo) and September 16.

http://www.getAustinOnline.com offers extensive valuable information for visitors and tourists.


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb