Say What You Want


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Austin
September 6th 2007
Published: September 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So, we finally arrived in Texas after the very long journey with our hangovers - I would not recommend a 13-hour bus journey after a New Orleans night out!! Our first stop was Austin, the state capital, and our hostel was on a lake so a nice location to chill out - nice people, TV lounge and close to the bus into town which was stupidly cheap!

We were proper hostellers during our time in Austin - cooking meals, doing our washing and abusing the free internet. In fact, Austin is the only city on our trip so far that we haven't had a drink in so we were very proud of ourselves for that. We did venture into town and checked out the state capitol building which is absolutely huge and made out of pink granite which is pretty cool. There wasn't a whole lot else going on in town as it was Labor Day weekend and most of the people seemed to be away for the weekend. There was a BatFest on - pretty much does what it says on the tin and involves lots of bats migrating (and some bands and markets) but seeing as we both don't like bats we avoided that one!

Next stop was San Antonio and we stayed in a nice B&B type place in a huge old house. It was right next to an army base but we didn't manage to spot any soldiers apart from in the post office! San Antonio is a nice town and its main attraction is the Alamo - site of one of the most famous battles in US history (despite the fact that the Americans got beaten by the Mexican army) and subject of many westerns and TV shows. It was pretty interesting wandering around all the old buildings that made up the Alamo fort and learning about the battle and the whole Texas Revolution. We also found a good shopping mall and spent a good couple of hours trying on clothes that were half-price in the sale and wondering if we could fit them in our suitcases - the answer was that we couldn't without throwing anything else out but it was worth it to have new, cheap clothes. In the middle of San Antonio they've got lots of bars and restaurants along the river which is a nice place for a wander. We had a really nice dinner there washed down with many frozen margaritas that were only $1.25 (about 65p) - bargain!

So, that was our Texan experience over - everything about Texas is HUGE....the cars, the people, the steaks and all the other food they sell in the supermarkets. And we're about to find out how huge the state itself is with a 21-hour bus journey across it to New Mexico, and our next port of call - Santa Fe.







Advertisement



15th September 2007

hey
really enjoying your blogs, thanks for sharing. take care :)

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb