Dallas to Austin


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Austin
October 20th 2015
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 30.2676, -97.743

We left Amarillo and drove to Dallas, which is an all day drive. We got up on Monday morning and headed out to the JFK Memorial. After viewing that we walked over to a really cool looking old building. It was called The Old Red Museum of Dallas County History. It used to be the old courthouse. It was built around the late 1890's after several of the original ones burned down. It is now a very nice museum. We spent a couple of hours there before we headed over to Dealy Plaza and the Sixth Floor Museum.
Everyone of my generation remembers where they were when the news that JFK had been assassinated hit them. I was sitting in a 6th grade class at Cleveland Elementary School when it was announced over the PA that JFK had been shot. We stood on the grassy knoll and looked at the street where JFK was shot. We went up into the museum, which used to be the book depository and saw the spot where Lee Harvey Oswald committed his heinous act. There is a ton of information about the minutes before to the days after the assassination. We spent about 2 1/2 hours there.
After that we headed back to our hotel. From 5 to 7PM they had wine and beer with snack foods and tortilla soup. Since we ate a late lunch, we decided to stay there and snack and drink.
We got up the next morning and checked out of the hotel. We drove over to the G.W. Bush Presidential Library and went inside for a tour. It is the first Presidential Library that we have been to. Stacy really wanted to see it. It was pretty cool. It had a lot of information in it about Bush and the Presidency and his family.
After that, we drove all the way down to Austin.
So far, the weather has been pretty darn good. Mostly sunny and in the 80's, just a couple of days in the low 70's. But, we hear that some really rainy weather is coming in, and its going to be here for the Formula 1 race weekend. Oh Lord, just like in Montreal, where we sat in the pouring rain for 2 1/2 hours. I guess this will probably be our last race.
Tomorrow and Thursday we will tour around Austin, then Thursday night, all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday we will be at the track.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The old Book DepositoryThe old Book Depository
The old Book Depository

The right window on the 6th floor on the sunny side of the building, is the one that Oswald fired from.


21st October 2015

Go see the bats in Austin and do some BBQ. How's the humidity?
22nd October 2015

I was too young to remember it, but would like to see that spot someday. Must be surreal.

Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb