GOOSE ISLAND STATE PARK, TX TO SAM HOUSTON JONES STATE PARK, LA—February 7 and 8, 2013


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Aransas Pass
February 8th 2013
Published: March 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Thursday, February 7th, 2013--Goose Island State Park, Goose Island, TX




It was overcast and 64 degrees when we left the park this morning at 9:00. Starting mileage was 37,028. Got gas on the corner of 35 and the park road for $3.09 per gal and filled the tank.

We drove north on highway 35 following the TexasCoast and turned east onto 774 and then took 2040 into the 115,000 acre Aransas National Wildlife Refuge. This refuge is the main winter home of a 200 strong flock of Whooping Cranes as well as over 400 other bird species. It was along the edges/shores of this refuge that the cancelled boat tour would have traveled.

In April and May of every year, the refuge hosts throngs of migratory birds journeying north from Central America. At this same time of the year, the Whooping Cranes depart in pairs or small family groups to travel 2,400 hazardous miles north to their nesting grounds at WoodBuffaloNational Park in Northwest Territories, Canada.

Our first stop was the visitor's center, where we learned that a couple of cranes could be seen on a marshy island from one of the very high viewing platforms. Also, that we could only drive part of the 16 mile Auto Tour Loop as tree branches were too low and would scrap Rosie's top and sides if we ventured beyond the 2 lane road portion of the loop.

As we drove, the first section to the 2 story observation tower, we saw deer and wild pigs. We did spot a pair of Cranes, but we were really glad we found 8th street on GooseIsland, as these birds were way, way, far in the distance, and if they hadn't been so big and white again the marsh grasses we would never have spotted them. On the way out, we were startled by numerous colonies of black vultures sitting in mostly dead trees. We always thought those pictures they show at Halloween were fantasy, but they proved us wrong. The black vulture varies from the regular vulture by not having the naked red head.

We retraced our route back to highway 35 and then proceeded northeast traveling over various river and bays as we went. Fallow fields after fallow field that changed around Port Lavaca where huge refineries and other oil and chemical processing plants are located. At FM 172 we traveled due north as we worked our way toward Houston. Along this road, out in a huge field just starting to sprout green shoots, we came across an absolutely huge flock of geese of mixed species and morphs. We pulled off to the side of the road and watched the geese and tried to ID them. We believe them to be mostly greater white-fronted geese, snow or Ross geese, and perhaps a cackling goose (a small version of the Canada goose). It was hard to make actual identification of the last two types of geese as the most distinguishing characteristic is a matter of 3-4” in height.

We had studied the map of Texas to determine which side to approach Houston that would be the most convenient for us to get to the Outsourcing office that handles Visas for India. So, with that in mind, we headed up US 59 at El Campo. Our other major concern is that we needed to get passport-sized photos taken and then also work with some of the paperwork required by the Indian Government. At Rosenberg, we found a CVS for our photos and an Office Max where the staff were extremely helpful in getting this stuff ready.

We left there and drove back toward the coast on small, narrow FM roads to BrazosBendState Park. It seemed to take forever to find this park, as the roads seemed to follow the edges of field sections so you would turn every few miles in kind of a zig zag pattern instead of a straight line. At this point, I have no idea what FM roads we were on, as we followed the brown park signs. Paid $34 for this night's stay as it was $20 for camping and $7 each for a day use fee. Our most expensive night yet!


Friday, February 8th--Brazos Bend State Park, on the Brazos River in the middle of no-where, Texas



Clear today with temperature at 53 degrees at 7:45. Starting mileage is 37,231.

Brazos Bend is a very pretty 4,897-acre park from what we could see in our very brief stay here, but the "watch for poisonous snakes" signs everywhere were off putting, to say the least. After checking out one of the lakes, we wandered back to highway 59 much quicker than it took us at night. On the way, we passed George's Ranch, an historic old ranch that operates as a living history museum. It tracks four generations of one family over one hundred years of Texas history.

Drove into Houston for our 10:00 am appointment. The whole experience was less than favorable. Some of what we had spent time preparing, as directed by on-line instructions, was ignored by the clerks. The strict security that they seemed to require in writing, as a condition of being in their office, wasn't much followed in our estimation. However, we turned in what they asked for and gave them our pre-paid Fed-ex envelope to send our passports back to us. Checked our list of "what must be done for preparation for April cruise" and marked that done!!!

Hit I-610 and then onto I-10 through heavy traffic, right through downtown Houston and out again on the other side. Had lunch when we crossed into LA. Got gas at $3.35 at Winnie, TX. Seems gas prices have gone up since we were just through here. Stopped at a Wal-Mart to buy Mardi Gras T-shirts and decorations for Rosie. By the Isle of Capri Casino, at exit 27 off I-10, we drove north the few miles to Sam Houston Jones State Park. We have a 5 night reservation here so that we can enjoy Mardi Gras in Lake Charles.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 37; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb