Pigeon Forge, TN · Clingman’s Dome, NC · Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail, TN


Advertisement
Published: June 22nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

We drove to Pigeon Forge today, set up, made lunch, and headed out for a busy afternoon that did not put us back to the trailer until midnight. We started out with an hour drive to Clingman’s Dome which we have been trying to visit for 17 years, all the way back to our first visit to the area in 2005 when Daisy was just a tiny toddler. Unfortunately, the trail is only open April through November, making it difficult for us to visit since we typically are up this way during Spring Break. The short half mile hike was extremely taxing. The paved path had an extremely steep incline, we had to stop to rest often, but everyone did. They even had a ranger walking around checking on the hikers. We didn’t mind since this gave us time to chat with another couple from Texas. They gave us some ideas on places to visit in the future. I feel like the view from the parking lot was spectacular and the view atop Clingmans Dome was not any better other than the fact that you could see a 360-degree view of the area. The elevation at this location is 6,643 feet, the highest mountain in all the Great Smoky Mountains and Tennessee. The third highest east of the Mississippi.

On our drive back we were fortunate enough to see a black bear walking along the road. This got us thinking about another trip here in 2018 when we would see a momma and her cubs each evening on Roaring Fork Motor Trail, but no luck. Although we did enjoy the drive and at least we did spot a small deer crossing the roadway. We headed to dinner and even though we have a Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen in Florida, most are a 30 minute plus drive from the house, so it is always a good go to.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb