Elvis Presley Blvd. Memphis


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Memphis
October 29th 2007
Published: October 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

starting place starting place starting place

have a seat and sit awhile
Gotta start somewhere
It's not that we didn't want to move to Krakow, it just happened fast! Serendipity is the effect by which one accidentally discovers something fortunate, especially while looking for something else entirely. And that is exactly what happened with us. Got the house sold, made arrangements with the moving company, we are moving back "home" to North Carolina, after being in Memphis, fulfilling Keith's long range plan for retirement! And then comes the offer to work in Krakow, Poland! Serendipity. There we were, looking at moving back to our home town, back to our little house by the ocean, back to our old life. But what we have found is a life in a foreign country, in a wonderful apartment next to the castle, overlooking the river. We accidentally found something fortunate, while looking for something else entirely. And we would like to have y'all join us, as we see all we can in the coming months. Keep in mind that it's just me telling you what we've done over here. I'm not a very eloquent writer, so what I say will be cliche and predictable, but hey! I'm a tourist.



We left Memphis middle of September soon after Tribute Week, or Death Week, or Elvis Week. Thirty years ago Elvis Presley died. (do you remember where you were when you heard the news? if you were even alive) This year 75,000 fans came to the Bluff City to pay tribute, and I went to Graceland with them, and two of my friends from home. Their first trip and my ninth. Since this is a "travel blog" I figured it is a good place to start! Whether you are a fan of Elvis Presley or not, Graceland should be on your list of places to see before you die. Especially those of you that are Southern born. Not only is it the place he lived and that he called home, but it's a place where people from all over the globe visit. I felt like I was the only local when I would take friends and family, nationalities from everywhere.




Graceland was just one of the things we enjoyed during the time we lived in Tennesse. To name a few - Bluegrass and the people who play it, live Blues at Central BBQ, (I swear you can smell barbeque in the air all over Memphis), The Dempsey's on Beale Street, Nashville, soul music from Stax, Mississippi River, Shelby Farms, Memphis in Motion - the best running group anywhere, the birthplace of rock and roll - Sun Studios, Overton Park, our Midtown neighbors, I have to stop 'cause I'm getting homesick for Memphis! So - we've gotta start somewhere.

Our world travel began in Memphis Tennessee.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Ernestine and Hazel'sErnestine and Hazel's
Ernestine and Hazel's

downtown bar, an original juke joint
Arcade MemphisArcade Memphis
Arcade Memphis

Best milkshakes and banana and peanut butter sandwiches!
fans' tributefans' tribute
fans' tribute

next to the Memorial Garden where Elvis is buried
midtown midtown
midtown

the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow


Tot: 0.334s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 39; qc: 156; dbt: 0.2195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb