North America This Time


Advertisement
Published: May 7th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Our New Home on WheelsOur New Home on WheelsOur New Home on Wheels

We loved the Lance truck camper, but this will give us room -- there's even space for Maggie.
Tom and I are now about 70 years old, and this summer are heading north for our second trip to Canada, Alaska, and the western “lower 48”. We’ve recently traded our trusty 2004 Lance truck camper and Dodge truck for a 28 foot Phoenix Cruiser motorhome, so prep work this time involves getting a new recreational vehicle (RV) set up and equipped. Tom does the techy stuff; I do the kitchen, bath and décor stuff. Maggie is purely decorative. It’s worked pretty well so far.

Current plans call for us to drive to Canada through Michigan and travel west on the Trans-Canada Highway. We’ll be able to explore the northern coast of Lake Superior and visit Manitoba and Saskatchewan, which we haven’t visited yet, as well as Alberta. We’ll catch the Alaska Highway at its Dawson Creek start, and head west to Alaska. We hope to re-visit places where we enjoyed ourselves 11 years ago and find some new adventures, visiting Skagway, Haines, Seward, Homer, Anchorage and Fairbanks. We’ll spend time in Denali National Park and cross back into Canada on the Top of the World Highway. We just had to return to Chicken!

When we reach Whitehorse in the Yukon, we’ll board Maggie and the RV and rent a 4-wheel-drive SUV. We’ll drive the Dempster Highway, a 500-mile gravel road that leads north through the Yukon and Northwest Territory to the Arctic Ocean. Until last fall, the road ended at the First Nations town of Inuvik, but the road just opened all the way to Tuktoyaktuk on the Arctic Ocean.

Back in the Yukon, we’ll reclaim the RV and the dog and head south through British Columbia to Vancouver and Victoria Island. We’ll cross back into the US and travel down the Washington and Oregon coasts and visit Crater Lake. Following a stop in Yosemite, we’ll finally turn toward home sometime in October – we think.

Advertisement



7th May 2018

The ambition of all that beauty and wonder....
Remember to send us photos. October is a ways away. The plan sounds wonderful. Love You guys.....
8th May 2018

What a fun trip you guys have planned! And the RV! What a way to travel! :)

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb