South Dakota: Rosebud -- Pine Ridge--Badlands


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » South Dakota
October 26th 2005
Published: October 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

I left my camera in the car, so this will just be a quick update with no pictures.

Monday(10/24), we crossed into South Dakota at the Rosebud Indian Reservation. We stopped at the Fire & Rescue Department so Ken could trade some patches from Dutch Harbor & we ended up talking to the acting Fire Chief, Gene, who gave us some good information about the area & some good tips about scenic drives through the reservation.

On Tuesday (10/25), we headed to the Wounded Knee Massacre memorial. Ken & I spent some time at the memorial marking the mass grave - looking at the rolling hills studded with ponderosa pine & trying to image what it must have been like at that time. Afterwards, we headed to the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation where we met Ric Mosseau, Ken Hills, & Robert Grey Eagle - all of whom gave us some incredible information about Wounded Knee & the Pine Ridge Reservation.

Today, Wednesday (10/26), we drove through the Badlands on some great dirt roads with spectacular views of the buttes & canyons in the Badlands. Now we're in Rapid City for the night, then we'll head southwest to the Black Hills.

We have had some really good weather so far on this trip. Yesterday, it was in the 70's and most of the other days have been in the 60's. I know the cold is coming soon, though.

I'll try to remember to bring my camera in with me next time!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0778s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb