Corn and Soybeans


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » South Dakota » Oacoma
August 25th 2017
Published: August 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Ohio RiverOhio RiverOhio River

at Paducah, KY
Wednesday, 23 August, 2017



We are so out of the habit of camping. Hooking up the camper, securing things inside, setting up camp; all had to be relearned.



This trip we are heading north for starters. We crossed the Ohio River at Paducah and drove to Cahokia Indian mounds near East St. Louis, IL. Kerry was a bit disappointed, so we didn't stay long, continuing north up the Great River Road in western Illinois. The drive was peaceful and we got nice views of the Great Mississippi along the way.



We camped overnight at Pere Marquette SP.





Thursday, 24 August, 2017



We continued north along the Great River Road. We crossed the Illinois River at Hardie on a narrow green steel drawbridge. And, as narrow as the bridge is, one lane was closed for bridge work. While we waited for our turn, a tug pushing barges came upriver and we had to wait for the drawbridge to open for the tow to pass. It turned out to be about a thirty minute wait.



We crossed the Mississippi River at Hannibal and
SuperPapaSuperPapaSuperPapa

at Metropolis, IL
thus entered Missouri. We drove west across the state on US 36, and camped at Big Lake SP.





Friday, 25 August



It is a long 155 miles up I-29 through western Iowa; nothing but corn and soybeans. Actually, it has been 3 days and 6 states of soybeans and corn and more corn and soybeans.



We had just crossed into South Dakota when the bottom dropped out of a nasty thunderstorm. It didn't look like much on radar, but we went through driving rains, gusting winds and thunderous hail. We had to pull into a rest area to wait it out and sat in the truck for 45 minutes or more until it passed. The winds were shaking the truck and the hail banged on the roof and windows. Ten miles up the road and the sun was shining and the skies were clear.



By the time we reached about midway on I-90 west, we began to see more pastures, hayfields, cows and horses, but still plenty of corn and soybeans.



We're at a campground in Oacoma, SD. Tomorrow we go to the
draw bridgedraw bridgedraw bridge

at Hardin, IL crossing Illinois River
Badlands.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

drawbridgedrawbridge
drawbridge

it looks so interesting
Mississippi River Mississippi River
Mississippi River

at Hannibal, MO
stormy skiesstormy skies
stormy skies

at Oacoma, SD


Tot: 0.353s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 75; dbt: 0.2416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb