A Slow Day?...


Advertisement
Published: July 3rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Our intention today was to have a very slow one...and that was more or less what we did...kinda, sorta! We were up fairly early but that was because we were in bed last night fairly early. We took our time getting cleaned up and then having a late breakfast. Our morning was spectacular with cool temps (44 at 5:45 this morning) and a brilliant sun in crystal clear blue sky—just the way we like it. Of course, the humidity is very low here and the sun did warm us up quickly.

Since we are so close to town—actually we are on the outside edge of Hill City—we decided to walk down the “rails to trails” path that goes right through our camp ground. We had intended to make a 2 mile or so walk into town and then back, leaving camp around 11:00. However, as fate would have it, we stopped in first at the 1880 Train Station to get information about riding it later on this week...ten minutes later we had tickets for the 1:15 ride to Keystone. It was such a pretty day and there were tickets available so...

Since we had about an hour before the train was due to pull out, we took a short walk up and down part of the Main Street in Hill City. It is a cute little town and is centrally located in almost the middle of all the big attractions in this area.

The ride to Keystone was a little over an hour. When we got there we walked across the street to Ruby House Restaurant where we had a very nice lunch. After eating, we walked around Keystone. It is a cute little area with lots of little shops to look at. After a walking tour, it was time to get back on the train and head back to Hill City. We walked back to camp (about 3/4 of a mile) getting back at 6:30.

As you can see, we didn’t have a completely slow day, but it wasn’t super busy either. At least John didn’t have to drive so that gave him a break.

We rode in a train 20 miles and walked 11,140 steps. We know the step count won’t come close to Mike’s, but he is the dream we strive for!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



3rd July 2018

LOVED THIS DAY
I would have ABSOLUTELY loved this day. I loved the train pictures and the ride would have been up my alley. The restaurant looked like an old time saloon on Gun Smoke. Loved all the pictures especially of John on the horse. I think that anytime you walk 11,100 steps you are doing good. The trick is to do it every day. The rocks were also wonderful. I didn't know you took a steam engine train. How interesting. You always seem to figure things out on the fly amazing to me. Great camp ground so close to everything. The only thing to improve upon would be a old fashion bakery shop in town. The metal horse sculpture was beautiful. I sent you a long text this morning since I got up at 6 my usual time and you are on mountain time and snug in bed.
3rd July 2018

slow?
That was some SLOW day! What a fun experience.....
3rd July 2018
Painting of stage coach ride back in the day

WOW
That would be a scary ride!
6th July 2018

Lookin good John
You are writing a blog that makes us want to leave tomorrow and follow your trail. Pictures are fantastic. Enjoy the temperatures you are having, it has been in the 90's here.

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0752s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb