Day 57 - Cody - Black Hills


Advertisement
Published: December 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sadly we were in Cody for one night, so we loaded up and moved on again, this time with the music in my hands for the day, which I seemed to master, with several commenting how good the choices were.

Anyway our destination was Deadwood. This town is the actual place where the <em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">HBO series is filmed, as well as the town where '<em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">Wild Bill' Hickok was shot in the back whilst playing poker. It's where the name '<em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">Dead Man's hand' came from, as <em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">Wild Bill final hand consisted of the two aces and two eights of the black suits.

The town was a National Landmark and re-enacts the shooting, capturing and trial of Jack McCall daily. We headed into the Deadwood Theatre to take in the evening's performance of the trial, which was performed all by residents of the town, as well as written by a couple of them. It does give the facts of the trial itself as well as throw in some comedy, and even at one point made Kylie call out 'Shit!' when one of the actors made her jump from behind. Not the response they were hoping for, but it was still funny.

After the show, we headed further along Main Street and took in Saloon No. 10 where some <em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">Pendleton Whiskey rep girls had set up the table next to us. Steve, Annabel, Kylie, Scott, Zach, Becca and I took in some of their whiskey, and ended up getting free bandanas, tees and badges for our troubles.

After scoring some freebies for Todd, we soon left for our campsite just outside of town. It was a lovely area, if compact. As I climbed into my sleeping bag, I heard Zach and Becca talking in the next tent, but was not sure if Steve was there as well. But before long I fell asleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb