From the Badlands to Mt Rushmore


Advertisement
Published: August 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

We had quite a light show during the night. The lightning lit up the night sky from all directions most of the night. The thunder was only severe for a short period and it rained periodically - enough to get every thing soaked including our sleeping bag. Our campsite there was very scenic.

We drove through the west end of the Badlands National Park and saw some wildlife inclusing two buffalos. We stopped at several very scenic overlooks and each one was very picturesque. We went to Wall, SD but did not go into Wall's Drug. We did laundry, ate lunch and grocery shopping.

Approaching Mt Rushmore there was a lot of hazy smoke in the air. We later learned the smoke is from the wildfires out in WY, MT and ID - just where we are heading next. Mount Rushmore was really great. Dave liked it a lot.

We drove south on scenic route 16A and went through several one way tunnels - you need to sound your horn to let traffic from the other direction know you are coming through. We had dozens of hairpin turns and the scenery was great. When we arrived at Custer State Park we saw wild burrows and wild turkeys on our way in. We are camped at Center Lake Campground - for 2 whole days! We need the break from driving.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Prairie DogsPrairie Dogs
Prairie Dogs

There is an area in Badlands called Pririe Dog Town - there are hundreds of them here.


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 5; ; mem: 1mb