Wednesday - Gullah tour and shopping!


Advertisement
Published: June 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ok, this morning we went on a Gullah tour. Gullah is a language/culture of West African slaves that came to this area. First - while we were walking to the tour pickup area, we see what looks like someone waving at us and shouting "Hi." I figure they can't be waving at us - no one knows us ... then they wave again and I realize it is the owner of Halls Chophouse where we ate dinner last night. She recognized us and stopped to talk with us. Cool.

Back to the tour - it was very interesting hearing the history of the city from the slavery angle. The tour guide was very informative and entertaining. We were on a bus the entire time - so I didn't have any photo opportunities. Not too many pics today.

After the tour, we visited another historic house, then headed for King Street for some shopping. King Street is the home of many retail shops, antique stores, and restaurants, and it is all very walkable.

Dinner was at Wild Olive, an Italian place out on John's Island, about 20 minutes away. It was kind of nice not to be in the busy downtown section of Charleston this one time. Had another very enjoyable meal.

Tomorrow - Plantations.

By the way - thanks to everyone for their comments. We enjoy reading them, so keep them coming.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



26th June 2010

Gullah
Looking forward to hearing more details about the Gullah tour. I've used resources from "Aunt Pearlie Sue" in my classroom by going to www.knowitall.org/gullahmusic. Check it out and tell me if her stories correlate to the stories told on your gullah tour. The hotel rooftop lounge is all about what I would want on vacation...coffee with a view. Is that a Marriott? Well, it's fun to follow your trip even though I'm like 3 days behind.

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb