How do we spend an afternoon in Charleston, SC? Eating!


Advertisement
Published: June 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After checking out of our Kiawah Island condo, Alan and I spend an afternoon touring Charleston, SC before driving to Atlanta.

With only a few hours to spare, it’s hard to choose between museums, home tours and carriage rides through the historic district. We need help.

Alan eases the rental car into the only short-term parking space at the Visitor’s Center. He waits while I run inside to pick up brochures and advice. The place is packed with out-of-town visitors lining up to make reservations for area attractions.

I return to the car with maps and a battle plan. After driving down Meeting Street, we park the car in a public parking garage at the corner of Queen and King Streets. Then, we make the only sensible choice. EAT. But, I really mean dine on low country delicacies in the lush gardens of 82 Queen.

Like most of the buildings in Charleston, the restaurant has a narrow street front but the building is long and deep. We walk through a dark bar area to the hostess stand. A young lady says hello, then leads us through a door to an outside garden. White wrought iron tables, surrounded by flowers and ferns, are shaded by the branches of large trees. It’s a delightful surprise.

“Alan, you can’t come to Charleston without tasting she-crab soup,” I say.

He replies, “What is she-crab?”

“I’m not sure but I can guarantee that it’s delicious.”

So, we share a bowl of creamy she-crab soup laced with sherry. For our main course, we both choose fish served over creamy grits. This southern girl feels right at home.

After lunch, we walk to Waterfront Park for a view of the harbor and Ft. Sumter National Monument. Our walk continues on a street where houses pre-date the American Revolution. As we approach The Battery, the elaborate houses are reminders of a grand era. In true Charleston style, stately homes with lush gardens hide behind the narrow facades that face the street. I wonder about the secret vistas that I can’t see.

Then, it’s back to our car for the long drive to Atlanta. This ends our rest and relaxation. But, stay tuned. In late June, we’re back on the road for a driving trip through Arizona and Colorado.

To read more about baby boomer travel, visit myitchytravelfeet .


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.428s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 27; qc: 144; dbt: 0.174s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb