A Trip Much Needed


Advertisement
Published: October 20th 2021
Edit Blog Post

As my 36th tax season has now ended we decided to take a second try at some time on Block Island. The trip was originally scheduled for the week after the first half of tax season was over in April, however, that was thwarted by client demands and a different and shorter trip to Portland, Maine was taken in stead. Fortunately, the Blue Dory Inn, was kind enough to just transfer our deposit on the room to be used for another trip. This has sort of been the theme of travel during covid, United Airlines gave us a large travel credit when we had to cancel our second redo of our future Ireland/Scotland trip (which is now on for May 2022).

So, 6 months later, here we are on Block Island for the next three days. Tarragon of course gets to make the trip with us. We were up at 6:30 am, all packing done by Jerry the night before as I had to be in NYC for the day to get the last two returns out the door. I walked to Café La France and got us croissant breakfast sandwiches and coffee. After a quick breakfast it was off to get the Zipcar. Normally, we have one right in our apartment complex parking lot, but for some reason Zipcar felt it necessary to switch our reservation twice, the last one being to a car 5 blocks away. Not a horrible walk, but added a bit more hassle to getting out the door.

It is about a 45-minute drive from Providence to Point Judith to get on the ferry to Block Island. We arrived in plenty of time before the ferry left the dock. It was not a large ferry held about 30 cars and you had to back onto the ferry as there was only one way on and one way off. Jerry got the job of driving the care on to the ferry.

It was a very nice day, a bit windy out at sea, and choppy. I was outside for a while taking pictures and enjoying the crisp fall air. About 5 minutes after I went back to the table, waives started crashing over the bow, I would have been soaked. Tarragon, is clearly not a sea going cat, he actually got a bit seasick, but seemed to recover quickly enough when we got off the ferry.

The inn is a about 5 minutes from the ferry terminal, and fortunately I room was ready early so we could check in and get Tarragon settled in the room. We took a quick walk around the town of New Shoreham, mainly hotel after hotel, all closed for the season. Only a hand full of restaurants open as well, and almost none on Tuesday. We took a quick drive to the next town (7 minutes away) called New Harbor, but nothing was open there. Back in New Shoreham we found a couple of pubs, so we had lunch at the Poor People’s Pub. Clearly a local hangout, but the food was good, for pub food. I had a couple of Tipsy Mermaid Sangria’s and a shrimp po boy. More shrimp than you knew what to do with. Jerry had a BBQ brisket sandwich. Since I am on an Island in the Atlantic Ocean, I am of course having seafood

After lunch we walked around a bit more, filled out our selection for the evening wine hour, then to the room to relax and check on Tarragon. He is very cozy on
The National HotelThe National HotelThe National Hotel

Closed for the Season
his king-sized bed, doesn’t sleep on the one at home, but whenever we travel, he spends all his time on the bed.

Did not really do much the rest of the day, relaxed in the room, went down to wine hour (wine was ok) and sat in the yard for a bit, while Tarragon looked down from the room at us. Then back to the room for some of the wine we brought with us until it was time for dinner. A bit of cat napping for both me and Tarragon.

A Tuesday night on the island during off season, does not give you many choices for dinner. All of the nicer places are only open Wednesday through Sunday. Our only choice, other than going back where we had lunch, was McAloon’s, a semi upscale Irish Pub. Needless to say, it was very crowded. Like most restaurants these days they were understaffed so they initially said the wait would be 30 minutes or we could eat at the “finger bar”. I have no idea what a “finger bar” is, but we were not about to sit 5 inches and across a narrow hi-top from complete strangers. Would not
Our InnOur InnOur Inn

The Blue Dory
want to do it during normal times, but certainly not during covid. The wait ended up being about 5 minutes.

The food was ok, but not outstanding. I had a very subpar Caesar and Cajun Chicken Alfredo, which was good, just needed a bit of, yes, I am going to say it, salt and more kick to truly be Cajun. Jerry has the crab stuffed flounder with a lemon cream dill sauce. It was pretty decent, but the fish was over cooked and of course Maryland crab really has zero flavor. No wine with dinner, because, well it is a pub, and the selection was a step above box wine.

There is no dish of the day, nothing really stood out it was all just basic food.

That is pretty much the day. Went back to the room watched a bit of TV and passed out. Tarragon taking his half out of the middle.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

VictoriaVictoria
Victoria

Our Room
Shrimp Po BoyShrimp Po Boy
Shrimp Po Boy

Not quite New Orleans


20th October 2021

Lovely
What a beautiful day in a peaceful location. It’s raining here (big surprise, I know). I hope it is a restful trip for all of you.

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb