May 11 Duncannon, PA to Peters Mtn Shelter, PA 11.3 miles


Advertisement
Published: May 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Left town this morning after a quick stop at the Post Office. We mailed home a few things we deemed unnecessary and too heavy. The walk through Duncannon was two miles of asphalt. It was tough on the dogs. Walking across the Susquehanna River we could tell there has been little traffic. Cobwebs stretched from guard rail to hand rail so CC asked me to kindly take the lead and break trail. We managed to keep out two mile per hour rate until we crossed the river.
Once across the river the trail entered the woods again and went straight up the mountain and in the wrong direction. We were headed back towards the mountain we walked down into town. For an hour we climbed and walked south before the trail switched back to the north. Then an hour later we were even with the bridge we had to walk across to get out of town. The temp is still down a bit and walking was cool and sprinkles of rain came and went.
We took a break at Clarks Ferry Shelter four + miles out of town. Two south bound guys were sitting wrapped in their coats trying to stay warm with their two pooches balled up napping. CC and I sat for a few minutes having a snack. The guys were headed into town for a break and wanted info on Duncannon. We got info on the trail to the north.
12 noon we were walking north again. Rain was bad enough that we pulled out the jackets for an hour or so. Stones and boulders along the ridge lines and our first try at doing video with our camera. Towards the end of day my feet started aching and we slowed down for the last mile or so. CC had let me run out front most of the day to clear the spider webs out. We walked into the shelter at 2:50PM. Two guys were already there with a fire already going. This is a nice two story shelter with indoor porch and cooking area. Only problem is the spring is 600' lower in elevation than the shelter, there were 287 stone steps to traverse. Not fun after walking 11+ miles.
Supper is done and much trail talk around the fire. Sky has cleared and getting cooler. Soon it will be time to slide into those nylon, feather-filled cocoons for the night.

Patrick, Deborah Mooney aka OD & CC
All Who Wander Are Not Lost


Advertisement



Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb