White's T Trip


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Pennsylvania » Pine Grove
August 15th 2013
Published: August 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Because our 1913 Model T Ford performed so well, I should tell what was done to the car. All the work done was by Ernie Spittler & me. I babbitted the main bearings, rods, 4th main (ball cap) and line bored them to fit. The main bearings were time savored to the new Scat counter balanced crank. The rods were bored, using a fixture I made in White's Machine Shop, using a Knight Jig Bore. The rods do not have dippers or holes drilled in top or bottom of rod bearing, a 45 degree angle was filed across the babbitt on the cap & rod for an oil reservoir. Other changes are: Stipe 280 camshaft, A 7-1/2 degree nylon timing gear made by White's Machine, Inc., Reader high compression head, <span><span><span>I have the original inside oil line and the outside oil line that goes from the magneto post to the front timing cover bolt, Watts clutch, all three new transmission drums made by Dave Nolting, original Ford rear axle bearings with new hardened bearing sleeves, pinion bearing from Fun Projects Inc., rebuilt early 1913 T Speedometer by Russ Furstknow, Kevlar bands, adjusted 1 turn low pedal, 1/2 turn reverse pedal, valve seats installed by Wes Roll, new rear axles from Ben Hardeman, Texas T's, new Ruxtell from Chaffin's, Rocky Mountain Brakes, did not adjust, a maintenance free E-Timer made by Mike Kossor which performed flawlessly, a new transmission shaft made by White's Machine. Inc. The transmission was rebuilt by Jacque White & Ernie Spittler, it was statically balanced in White's Machine, Inc using their balancer, each magnet was weighed in grams and positioned on flywheel to balance it then taken to Trim's Engine Shop to be Dynamically balanced. The Ruxtell rear was assembled by Ernie Spittler. There were no major mechanical problems, all of these changes performed exceptionally to perfection. The radiator was the most problem, mostly due to the speeds that we traveled, mostly at 45 mph, one time on I-81, 57mph. For this trip a new set of McLaren wire wheels were used for safety. Lost 1 McLaren hub cap (we think it was stolen), lost 1 top prop nut, pulled radiator twice to fix leak at overflow tube at top tank, torqued head bolts, fixed 1 flat tire, picked up a small nail and the ignition switch vibrated to the off position about 10 times. Also fan shaft wore a grove in the brass fan hub, had to put 2 nylon washers and 1 metal washer to take up the space.

Jacque & Mae

Advertisement



16th August 2013

couple of questions
Do you have original axle bearings with hardened sleeves? or do you have the new modern style bearings? Do you have a standard ratio rear end? or high speed? How did your kingpins work? Do you standard oilers on the kingpins or grease fittings?
16th August 2013

Couple of questions
The car has a 3 to 1 ring & pinion, original Ford rear axle bearings with the hardened sleeves and the king pins are oiled every morning before leaving, no grease fittings.
16th August 2013

Welcome back home
This was a great adventure, thanks for allowing other T lovers to follow your trip. I hope to be able to do something similar in the future. You made it look easy. Best Gus
17th August 2013

Welcome back home
Gus, I was in your position one time, read & hearing guys talk about their travels with their Model A's. I couldn't wait for the time to come that we would start driving to National Club Meets. I love to tour, vacation & the challenge of distance driving. I know one day you will do similar trips and enjoy the fun we had. Jacque & Mae
16th August 2013

Thanks for the update
Welcome Home
17th August 2013

Congrats!
Very impressive trip. My wife already told me to never plan a trip like that!
3rd September 2013

I'm sure that was a trip of a life time for the both of you. Not everybody has a wife that would even think of doing anything remotely close to that. Goes to show you what can be accomplished with some sound knowledge and preparation and support from family and friends.
7th September 2013

White's T Trip
Thanks Jeff, I truly am blessed. Jacque

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb