Phillies 10, Braves 9


Advertisement
Published: July 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Okay, sportsfans, this may be brief. We are T-I-R-E-D. We had a long and fun day.

We began this morning by driiving from Baltimore to Philadelphia. In Philadelphia we had an awesome tour of the historical area. It was a walking tour, taking about 2 hours. Our tour guide was great and we got to briefly see many of the sites, including the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Christ's Church, and most everything in between. We were excited to see it all, and it was great incentive to come back some day and explore in more depth.

Our game at Citizen's Bank Park was an exciting one, with the Phillies coming back from a 9-3 deficit to win. These Philly fans are certainly intense and into their ball club. A very loud crowd who paid attention to every pitch. Today was a sellout, and the stadium was at full capacity at about 48,000 or so. We had heard quite a lot about how rowdy and obnoxious the Philadelphia fans are, and while a fight broke out near some of our group, we didn't think it was too out of the ordinary. They do have a tendency to break into a cheer for the Eagles (football) every once in a while, and I guess this is to be expected. Kind of wierd.

The park is beautiful. As with the other new parks we have seen, the common areas surrounding the stadium are huge. Entering from center field there is a walkway the width of a street running along the outfield, with food stands and shops. There are plaques in the ground denoting Philly all stars from the different positions. The stands are an odd mixture of levels, and there are many, many, many stairs leading up, down and all around to get to your seats. I suppose if you were familiar with the stadium and knew just where you wanted to go, it wouldn't be so bad. But to walk around and see different areas was like walking about ten miles up and then back down no matter where you wanted to go. Our feet hurt!

We had (of course) cheesesteaks for lunch and ate at a restaurant that sits underneath the big screen. It was a good place to sit for a while since we were there very early, and the food was really good. Another good sandwich--when oh when will we eat a hot dog again?

The 7th inning stretch is turning out to be an interesting thing for us. Now, at Dodger Stadium we sing Take Me Out to the Ballgame, and we sing it through twice. Done. Well, seems that is unusual. Everywhere we've been they've sung it through just once and then broken into some other song before they sit down. In Pittsburgh, well, we're having trouble remembering it right now! In Baltimore, it's "Thank God I'm a Country Boy." And they sing it all the way through! In Philadelphia, it was.....ahhhh, we can't remember the name! Well, we're just pretty tired. We'll tell you about it tomorrow. But we will be happy to get back to Dodger Stadium and sing Take Me Out to the Ballgame twice and then get ready for the rest of the inning!

We are now in New Jersey (never thought I'd say that). We will go to New York tomorrow for a day game at Shea. After the game we will be in Times Square for a couple of hours before going to yet again another new hotel. Time to buy all of that "I Love New York" stuff, eh? We will be in the same hotel (which is very exciting) on Sunday and Monday night--our first two-night stop! It will be nice to be able to leave our things in the room for a day.

All in all we are having a fabulous time, although we are a little worn out. We are in a little early tonight and hope to get a good night's sleep.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



27th July 2008

woohoo I'm glad you guys are having fun wish I could be there :) have fun today D a n n y

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0214s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb