First trip of 2012 -- PA, NJ


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Pennsylvania » Lancaster
August 13th 2012
Published: August 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hi, All --

Here we are, back for our fourth year of TravelBlog-ing. This is our first blog of 2012, our "visiting trip" to spend time with Bob's sisters in PA and his friends in NJ -- and to see some sights to share with you in the process. We left home the 3rd of July, 2012, and were back home before the end of the month.

By the way, if you don't want to receive these blog links, please let me know. Or I think you can unsubscribe yourself if you choose. In this day of way too many emails, I can well understand.

These first few photos are from Gettysburg where we spent the night of the Fourth of July -- but, to our surprise, there were no fireworks, no nothing celebratory. They had an "enactment" coming up that weekend, so we figured that everything was geared to that. And then it dawned on us that the Civil War had little to do with our War of Independence.

The rest of the photos are of the night light show at Longwood Gardens, which is near Philly. As they describe the event: "Experience Longwood Gardens in a whole new Light through the evocative and imaginative art of Bruce Munro, British artist and light designer. Never before seen in the United States, this debut exhibition illuminates the gardens with large-scale, site-specific light installations."

I confess I didn't take the photo of the tree house as we rushed by it to get to the light show set to music on the lake. But it's too good a feature not to include. Longwood Gardens is just huge.

Next photos: The Kutztown Fair.

Paula & Bob


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Enduring Light Peace MemorialEnduring Light Peace Memorial
Enduring Light Peace Memorial

Dedicated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt during the observance of the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, July 3, 1938
light show on lakelight show on lake
light show on lake

The lights were syncronized with some awesome music.


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0202s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb