Day 4: Niagara to Gettysburg - "Friggety, friggety, friggety"


Advertisement
Published: July 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Once again your intrepid tourists were up bright and early to tackle the day. Craig snuck out quietly and considerately to take some sunrise shots of the falls, and almost immediately ruined his efforts by waking me up at 4.30 am with a text message announcing he was in Canada.

Some hours later the rest of us woke up, Craig returned for breakfast, and we all set out with our newly knowledgable tour guide to experience the Canadian side of the falls. As we passed through Canadian customs and collected another stamp on our passports, I suddenly understood the need to announce to someone who might otherwise be asleep that I had just walked into another country.

The view of Niagara Falls from Canada is simply breathtaking. Being there fairly early in the morning the place wasn't too packed out and we had plenty of opportunities to try and capture the beauty of the falls on camera. I'm not sure if any of us were actually successful though. I'd recommend you go and see it for yourself.

Pausing only to pick up some fudge and mail a postcard from Canada (Margs, consider yourself special!) we returned to the USA, collected the car and began the very first part of our road trip in high spirits. Onwards to Gettysburg!

Several hours later, after a disappointing detour to try and find and Aimish village a somewhat less enthused crew arrived in Gettysburg. Fortunately the hotel Gerry had booked us for the night was particularly luxurious. Unfortunately there had been some confusion as to what "quad share"meant and we were allocated a room with only one bed, albiet a king size one. After some discussion our night of luxury turned into a camp out, with the hotel agreeing to provide some additional linnen, and when pushed to throw in a free breakfast to compensate for the mix up. Luckily Gerry had brought along a blow up matress as the hotel was only able to provide one. Too exhausted by this stage for an eat in meal and thus made a quick trip to the nearby Subway and Burger king. We began the day with breathtaking views of Niagara Falls, and ended it contentedly sitting in the gutter eating fast food. Our American experience continues...



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

A Leopard Print CatA Leopard Print Cat
A Leopard Print Cat

Michelle D, as agreed, I think I'm allowed to get one of these!


6th July 2010

quad room
what part of 'quad' didnt they understand. Sounds so funny but you were raised to camp out and rough it. Love the photos and your commentary; just the way you write i can hear your voice. Ken has had a few laughs on this too. keep up the blog Shells, it's so good :) Mum
6th July 2010

Great Adventure
Hi All, I can see you are all having a wonderful holiday ...... thanks heaps Michelle for the blog site ..... it is just great to be able to follow your adventure, and yes, I dont think the boys would have bothered doing one ! Loved the photos and stories. Keep having fun !
11th July 2010

YAY I eagerly await the arrival of the postcard! Thanks!

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb