Halloween, more American "Comedy" and the onset of Winter.


Advertisement
Published: November 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The first weekend of HalloweenThe first weekend of HalloweenThe first weekend of Halloween

Crocodile Hunter and Zombie Cheerleader
I've just been through my first USA Halloween experience. Halloween this year was on a Wednesday, so therefore Halloween parties started the weekend before and finished the weekend after the 31st. Halloween is massive in America so everyone dresses up and gets really drunk (the latter not being different from any other weekend). The first night was a lot of fun, the second night was ok, but by the third, fourth and fifth night I couldn't really be bothered anymore. It starts to lose it's novelty after you've done it three times in six days.

The first night (Friday, w/e before Halloween), I dressed up as a crocodile hunter (no, not a dirty Mexican gardener, although I can see how you would confuse them), and we went to a big house party downtown. On the second night I was again a crocodile hunter, but with decidedly less effort than the previous night.

Halloween on Wednesday is supposedly the big one, but a big group of us missed it because we went to see Macbeth at an auditorium on campus and couldn't be stuffed going out after. The next Friday I dressed up as an "Awkward Turtle", while Hazel was
The second weekend of HalloweenThe second weekend of HalloweenThe second weekend of Halloween

Awkward Turtle and Interrupting Starfish
an "Interrupting Starfish" (personal joke, too long to explain), and went to an apartment party downtown which was really good, despite the lack of oxygen in the tiny little box apartment with dozens of people inside. On Saturday night we went to a University Club party which was technically 21+, but with a bit of insider contacts and a small amount of financial persuasion we managed to make the guest list. It was a good party. Felt good being able to go up to a bar and order a drink again. Felt even better to not have to pay for said drink. By this stage we were well over the dressing up thing so I wore jeans and a polo... I was an Australian.

On the Friday before the apartment party we went to see a popular American "Comedienne" (again, quotes because she wasn't funny). I think it should be officially accepted that American's have no sense of humour and should hereby stop trying. Honestly, they can't even spell "humour".

Starting to get cold now, temperature has been hovering in the single digits for the last few days and has dropped into the negatives a couple of times.
The U Club PartyThe U Club PartyThe U Club Party

That's the Blueman Group in the background
There were snow flurries yesterday morning and it's forecast -2 and snow today although from walking to class this morning I don't think it's gonna happen today.

Thanksgiving the week after next, I'm all booked and prepared to go to Chicago for the week and then to Cleveland Ohio for one day to see the Rock n Roll hall of fame.

Lots of Love,

Renan.

Advertisement



12th November 2007

melting snow flurries
Well you migh have snow flurries but it's starting to heat up here. 37c yesterday and 39c forecast today. Luckily I had got some freddo frogs for your mum for her students so when the local kids came around on Halloween she had something to give them. All the best. Ian

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb