On empty with a full gas tank


Advertisement
Published: August 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

At the beginningAt the beginningAt the beginning

Sierra has donned the gown she will graduate in 4 years from now.
Day 22? I’ve lost our calendar and our girl. Pretty sure the one is safe at Georgetown but the much-needed calendar with all our info is floating out in the ether somewhere.
Yesterday Sierra matriculated into the University. It was a ritual of much pomp and Sousa marches, with interspersed Latin chants and prayers and talks by witty classical professors. She is one of 1500 new ones, just beginning what everyone promises here will be “the best years of your life.” The place where she might meet her new mate (50% do they tell us) and where she will get the training to go out and change the world…for the better.
As for Anita and I - we both feel depleted. None of the moms were taking it well. I sat next to one who was so irked at her kid that she had refused to buy her stuff at the bookstore and was now threatening to send brownies laced with ex-lax. Some angry, some sad, some just empty. Dads were gruff and all the above. But all of us so proud that the atmosphere could have rained pride down on our darlings.
I got chicken skin when all the grads stood up and put on their black baccalaureate robes. What hope for the future all these ones are. The best of the best. And, as one speaker pointed out “These are fewer than 1/100 of one percent of the planet’s people who get to attend college.” Sierra is a lucky girl.

As for her moms, we feel both forlorn and free. We had a lovely long breakfast with friend Melissa and her beau Ian. They live right in DC and will be a good support for Sierra. Today we head up to Hyde Park to visit a friend (Jonathon Londin and family) and see Eleanor Roosevelt’s house tomorrow. Much love to all of you. We love getting the comments and emails. xoxoxoxoJ&A



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



28th August 2007

thanks for these blogs
I feel so emotional at the thought of facing this in a few years. I am in awe of your ability to synthesize it, articulate it, and share your responses with such clarity. You rock.
31st August 2007

lucky girl
Lucky girl is right! Ihave a feeling this will beomce a best seller- your travels.... Keep the wonderful stories coming! Love mare

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb