Long Beach - Cape Meares


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon
April 17th 2010
Published: April 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Beach walkersBeach walkersBeach walkers

near Canon Beach, Oregon.
CHEESE, PLEASE:
After roaming along the beach, drying our damp towels and bed sheets at the RV park's clubhouse (I make the mistake of airing them outside on a fence, not realizing that sunshine is fleeting here) we get away in the early afternoon. Soon we cross the Columbia River estuary on a bridge high enough to allow ocean-going freighters to enter Astoria harbour on the Oregon side. This state charges no sales tax on goods and services, and so Kathryn wants to take advantage early on. We shop at Costco for a new memory card for her old digital camera and have a frugal lunch by indulging in food samples on offer at almost every aisle in the store. Then we scour the neighbouring strip malls for a heater to help take the chill out of the van in the evening and early morning hours.

Two women walking their dogs at Triton Cove had told us their absolute favourite place on the Oregon Coast is Canon Beach. But we find it far too Yuppie-like with their perfect resort-style houses, shops and B&B establishments. It looks like one of those subdivisions with strict rules and building codes. And the high-end cars parked in driveways make it all look like a rather expensive place to stay.

Night falls before we find a roadside gravel pull-out to park for the night near Cape Meares.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.358s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0843s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb