Weekend in Little Switzerland, Wallowa


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon
October 1st 2023
Published: October 2nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

We spent the weekend in Little Switzerland otherwise known as Wallowa mountains.
Hells Canyon scenic byway holds lots of secrets. More than 19 of the Wallowas peaks rise above 9000 feet many forming the back pack and horseback paradise on Eagle Cap Wilderness.
It also has the deepest Canyon in the US, yes deeper than the grand canyon.

We left Wallowa rv park and headed for Joseph about 30 miles away.
We booked into 5 peaks RV park on the recommendation of the tourist information Centre in Enterprise who told us Joseph was going to be busy with the Alpenfest this weekend.
It certainly was.
We continued on the Hells canyon scenic byway into Joseph and Wallowa Lake situated a mile from where we're staying.
This place has the right to be called Little Switzerland its just as majestic if not more with more glacial features than you can shake a stick at.

Wallowa Lake is a gorgeous sapphire blue alpine lake formed by glaciers and wedged between seriously high peaks. Like 9000 feet high.
We headed for the south of the lake and too the Wallowa Lake tram car, think gondola, 4000 feet up to the top of Mount Howard at 8200 feet in 18 minutes. The steepest cable car in the US.
We hiked all the trails which wasn't easy at that height with 15% less oxygen We were puffed.

We walked to the south shore of Wallowa Lake had an enormous ice cream and took in the views.
Friday night we went out in the rain sat under an umbrella with fairy lights next to a fire pit and drank hot spiced apple cider. he knows how to treat a girl 😄

Saturday it rained and didn't stop until we left on Sunday morning.
What to do on a wet Saturday afternoon in Joseph, Alpenfest of course.
We visited Wallowology, all things to do with nature
Arrowed head chocolates, they do delicious mocha and chocolates
Steins distillery, didn't like it all whisky and burbon
We to the Saturday Market
Saw the 18 bronze Statues around the town
And did Alpenfest in the community centre. They take this seriously, and enjoy celebrating all things Swiss-German culture.
We listened to the Ompha pa band and saw tyrolean dancers, heard singing along with 2 12 feet long Swiss horns oh and yodeling too.
We were well entertained. He had bratwurst I had a pretzel with a beer.

We continued our journey east and south to Hells Canyon overlook on Sunday morning. The scenery was stunning. On reaching the overlook it was misty and cold and we could just make out some of what we saw below.

We headed along the remaining 208 mile scenic byway to Halfway where we stopped at Wild Bill's bar and diner for lunch . The lotto is a rollover of 1 billion dollars we bought 2 tickets.
Our journey continued to Baker City and back to John Day where we turned south heading for Burns, high desert country.
Wait until you see what is next, we can't wait!




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb